Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Did Kubiak make the right call?
Yes, Keenum should have been the starter. 39 79.59%
No, he should have given TJ an honest shot at starting. 4 8.16%
No, he should have given Schaub a shot at getting out of his slump. 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2013   #1
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did Kubiak make the right call?

The Texans are at 2-4, just coming off their 4th straight loss in a row. Kubiak is left with a tough decision, here are his options going into the next game:

1) Keep Schaub as the starter. He got hurt in the Rams game, but he claims he's good to go. Plus, we all know his mobility with a busted ankle is just as good with a healthy one. I know a lot of fans thought the season was over at this point, but guess what... it wasn't. A 5-6 crappy Titans team are currently in the playoffs, are you serious!? That means if we simply would have beaten the Raiders & Jags, we'd be only one game out of the playoffs right now with a game against the Titans still remaining. Schaub isn't an exciting player, and he's not going to win games by carrying guys on his back... but we do know he is capable of winning games. He was in a slump, no doubt, but did Kubiak give him an honest shot of getting out of that slump? The fact remains, Schaub has won the only two games we've won this season, while Keenum has now lost more games than Schaub.

2) Give TJ a real shot at being a starter. I know TJ didn't have a great "half" in the Rams game. But lets be honest, did he have a real shot at earning the starting job? He came in at the middle of the 3rd quarter, already down by 18. He had to take some shots and be aggressive. That's hard to do, considering he most likely had no real reps during practice with the 1st team. If he was truly the 2nd string QB on the team, the honest decision here would have been to give TJ a week to prepare for the KC game and give him a shot at being the starter for the rest of the season.

3) No, he made the right choice by handing the keys to Keenum. We were heading no where with Schaub, so by starting Case, it would lead to either one of the following. 1) Case sparks the team into a winning streak and leads us into the playoffs. 2) Case doesn't play well and it gives us a clear signal we MUST looks for an answer at QB this offseason. At least it seems like we got our answer about Case... but was it really worth throwing away a whole season, just to see if one guy is worth being a starter in this league?

To be honest, I don't know what the right answer is. I could have gone with any of the three. I do know this, though... I'd rather win games now than try to find answers about the future. It's hard to fathom, that if we simply won 3 of our last 9 games, we'd be sitting pretty in a playoff spot right now.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did Kubiak make the right call?

well obvs Scahub was hurt or hurt enough to make a change

if Matt was healthy I would of rolled with matt a lot longer I think we started Case to soon

he made a mastike in not giving TJ yates a fair shot or at least a lot longer shot

but IMO I think he sees these guys every day he knows who Qb's I guess but he knew the least about Case I think he knew more about TJ then case

but man TJ made that run beat cincy ATL and CINCY again were did that TJ go ..?????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #3
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
well obvs Scahub was hurt or hurt enough to make a change

if Matt was healthy I would of rolled with matt a lot longer I think we started Case to soon

he made a mastike in not giving TJ yates a fair shot or at least a lot longer shot

but IMO I think he sees these guys every day he knows who Qb's I guess but he knew the least about Case I think he knew more about TJ then case

but man TJ made that run beat cincy ATL and CINCY again were did that TJ go ..?????
That TJ went nowhere, he was just surrounded by a vastly superior team.
Old 11-25-2013   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
was it really worth throwing away a whole season, just to see if one guy is worth being a starter in this league?
Absolutely was the right decision to give Keenum a shot.

We all knew Schaub wasn't the answer and it was fairly obvious that Yates wasn't either. The record would have been no better with either of them under center than it has been with Keenum.

At least we now know that there isn't a QB on this team that's likely to lead this team deep into the playoffs after watching Keenum the past several weeks. We'll have to find that guy elsewhere be it in the draft or via FA.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #5
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Absolutely was the right decision to give Keenum a shot.

We all knew Schaub wasn't the answer and it was fairly obvious that Yates wasn't either. The record would have been no better with either of them under center than it has been with Keenum.

At least we now know that there isn't a QB on this team that's likely to lead this team deep into the playoffs after watching Keenum the past several weeks. We'll have to find that guy elsewhere be it in the draft or via FA.
Another thing to consider is was Keenum ready to start, or should have he spent more time learning all of the little nuances of the game? Did we ruin this guy's confidence and future by playing him too early?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #6
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the uproar benching Keenum caused why even ask this question? Keenum is being given his shot, thought that's what everybody wanted? Damn a right decision this season is dead in the water. Schaub and Kubiak are both gone, and Keenum won't be looked on as favorably by the next regime. It's a going out of business sale.
Old 11-25-2013   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

So some fans are already second-guessing the move by Kubiak to start Keenum as the Texans QB ? I dunno, but could anybody but more accurate than Ben Tate when he said Houston fans are really fickle ? I think not.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2013   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So some fans are already second-guessing the move by Kubiak to start Keenum as the Texans QB ? I dunno, but could anybody but more accurate than Ben Tate when he said Houston fans are really fickle ? I think not.
Sports fans act up when their favorite team is in the toilet. It's a universal reaction. Houston fans are no different.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #9
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Houston football fans get a pass 12 years only two playoff appearance no afc championship game or super bowl game appearance. One of four cities to have never been to the super bowl with the other three cities being super small market cities. All the while games keep selling out. Fickle? F that BS...
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #10
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I still say Bill should have started....I'm just sayin'.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #11
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90373 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

There isn't a starting NFL QB on the roster, might as well throw the local kid out there
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #12
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoops. I agreed with the 3rd opinion. So I went to the poll and clicked 3rd option with out reading. haha
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #13
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87001 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I picked the third but I was just trolling like I always do when it's a private poll.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

For the sake of the franchise it was the right call. Schaub wasn't leading anybody anywhere.

At least now we know what we need and we now have the ammo to get that done. Having a top 5 pick (or the #1 pick) in every round should prove valuable for the next regime. Hopefully we pick a good head coach this time.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read