Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-24-2013   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What is the rebuilding path?

I am going to assume the Texans need to rebuild. Further, I am going to assume they make some changes in the coaching and maybe the front office before next season. Given that, how should the Texans rebuild this time?

Option 1:

Do it "the right way". Get about 6 wins next year, go 8-8 for a couple of non-losing seasons, reach the winning goal of 9-7, and then in year five win 11 or 12 games and make the play-offs.

Option 2:

Take the approach to try and turn it around next year and make some noise in the play-offs the year after that. This approach risks...well, I'm not sure it risks anything. I was never clear on that.

I'll go on the record for option 2. I'd like to see them improve quickly.

Old 11-24-2013   #2
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the rebuilding path?

McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chiefs.

Last edited by CretorFrigg; 11-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.
CretorFrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #3
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chief.
I think the Chiefs are pretenders. They are a lot better than last year, but are still missing some pieces to be taken seriously as an annual contender.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #4
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I think the Chiefs are pretenders. They are a lot better than last year, but are still missing some pieces to be taken seriously as an annual contender.
I keep hearing that, but they have Andy Reid. They're definitely what their record says they are.

I want the Texans to get back to being relevant and take the next step towards beating the top teams in the league rather than another decade of crap.
Old 11-25-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chief.
The Chiefs had back to back seasons picking 1st and 11th .... then they added a former #1 overall pick at QB who has a record of 30-7 over the last three seasons.

I'd say they were the exception , not the rule .... Its not all that often teams make quality QB's available - The last two to move were Favre and Brees (You could throw Manning in the conversation but considering his health issues at the time , that was a highly questionable decision at the time).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The Chiefs had back to back seasons picking 1st and 11th .... then they added a former #1 overall pick at QB who has a record of 30-7 over the last three seasons.

I'd say they were the exception , not the rule .... Its not all that often teams make quality QB's available - The last two to move were Favre and Brees (You could throw Manning in the conversation but considering his health issues at the time , that was a highly questionable decision at the time).
Some people wanted Schaub over Smith.

Discount those people as talent evaluators.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #7
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Posted this in the Kubiak thread, but how would you guys feel about Ray Horton? For reference, he was the secondary coach under Dick LeBeau with the Steelers and is the former defensive coordinator for the 2011-2012 Cardinals and is now the 2013 coordinator for the Browns. He runs a 3-4 so he wouldn't have to change the defense on a fundamental level, he has NFL experience as a defensive back and coach, and has coached a ton of really good secondary players like Paolumalu, Patrick Peterson, and most recently Joe Haden.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2013   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I mentioned Smith before they extended Schaub ....Everyone said I was crazy. Wonder how Rick Smith feels about that $29.15m he gave Schaub now ?!

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #9
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mentioned Smith before they extended Schaub ....Everyone said I was crazy. Wonder how Rick Smith feels about that $29.15m he gave Schaub now ?!
Now that the guaranteed money is gone and it came before Flacco got signed to his mega-deal, I'd say pretty decent.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The question should be does Rick feel as bad as you and I do?

Answer- doubtful

Does Gary? I believe he's a broken man,

I hate what he's having ro go thru, Although I would like his paycheck. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep. Someone should bring up the old Schaub vs Smith debates. There were a lot of people here that were suggesting that Schaub was the better QB.
Old 11-25-2013   #12
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yep. Someone should bring up the old Schaub vs Smith debates. There were a lot of people here that were suggesting that Schaub was the better QB.
up to that point he was...or he was at least even with him. Just like most thought Kaepernick was gonna be the 2nd coming of Randall Cunningham. Things change. Schaub sucks, & Kaepernick still has not progressed much more as a passer...& smith is still at best an above average game manager. The team has lost 2 straight since he hasn't been able to rely on that defense & it'll be interesting to see what he does if Houston & Hali miss any significant time & he can no longer rely on the defense...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #13
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Probably the same people who swore up and down that Keenum was a better QB than Smith.
Old 11-25-2013   #14
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

Smith is a dud like schaub,just more mobile. A smith led team is 2-29 when his team gives up 24 pts or more. Alex smith is the same dude wo was terrible early in his career. The only change is the last 3 yrs he's had high end defenses. If he were on the texans,their record would be similar because he would've lost the 1st 2 games and maybe won 2 others,that's it.
Old 11-25-2013   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Didn't realize I was the one who started that thread. .

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=Smith+Schaub
Old 11-25-2013   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Find a QB.

That's really the only answer.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #17
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't really need to "rebuild." That implies tearing the whole thing down and starting over from scratch at every position.

Fire Kubiak, fire Marciano, fire Rick Smith if you want, improve the offensive line at all costs, and work on bolstering the depth so when the inevitable injuries happen they're not as devastating as they have been the last few years. I mean, no amount of depth can cover what we've had to go through injury-wise in the last three years but the impact can be lessened a bit.

When healthy, we still have Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Jonathan Joseph, Danieal Manning, and Kareem Jackson on this team. That's a whole helluva lot.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #18
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
We don't really need to "rebuild." That implies tearing the whole thing down and starting over from scratch at every position.

Fire Kubiak, fire Marciano, fire Rick Smith if you want, improve the offensive line at all costs, and work on bolstering the depth so when the inevitable injuries happen they're not as devastating as they have been the last few years. I mean, no amount of depth can cover what we've had to go through injury-wise in the last three years but the impact can be lessened a bit.

When healthy, we still have Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Jonathan Joseph, Danieal Manning, and Kareem Jackson on this team. That's a whole helluva lot.
I'm sorry but I disagree. Our coaches did not have the backups ready to perform. You want to say injuries were bad the last three years? The only thing that was bad was the coaching, going into a season playing 3-4 with only one starting calibre ilb? That's bad, real bad. Manning got injured? You've had Keo around for years, coach him up or replace him.

Schaub gets a career ending injury 3 years ago? Why did you resign him and still hobble him out there?

Who else has been injured really? And why are all our 2nd and 3rd round picks inadequate depth?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #19
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

What exactly are you disagreeing with? The depth was bad because the talent and coaching was bad.

We've had an insane, unfathomable amount of injuries over the last three years. Do I really have to make the list for you?
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #20
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chiefs.
Good point. Only took the Chiefs 50 years and 12 coaches to get there, but hey, you don't replace Hank Stram easily!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read