Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2013   #1
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Firing an NFL coach in midseason - it's likely to happen in 2013

Interesting piece about firing head coaches in midseason that ran on nfl.com a year ago.

It's happened 22 times from 2000 through 2012. In only three years - 2002, '06 and '12 - were there no firings. And in two seasons, 2010 and '11, it happened seven times. So, obviously, these days owners are less reluctant to pull the plug:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...decisionmakers

Given all this, and that no coaches were fired during last season, the law of averages is that it will happen at least once this year. And probably in Houston, Atlanta or Minnesota. Winning two straight might save Schiano in Tampa, and being a first-year coach will get Bradley a pass in Jacksonville - even if he loses to the Texans next week.

Last edited by Tolar's Ghost; 11-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Firing an NFL coach in midseason - it's likely to happen in 2013

Why not leave the door open for the new regime and give them a early start

But who is out there is the new regime even out there are do we waste 6 weeks on Scrub coaches

I wish the new regime was already rdy to give them a 6 week head start plus 2 months of playoffs

But if kubes goes I think Rick smith needs to go has well we need to hit the reset Button
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #3
bigmck
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

But if kubes goes I think Rick smith needs to go has well we need to hit the reset Button
This ^^^
bigmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #4
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

If a head coach gets fired midseason teams usually promote an interim guy from the staff. The firing can also spark a little resurgence and almost 2 out of 5 interim guys keep the job.

If Kubiak gets fired before the end of the year Phillips takes over.

I don't want a 2014 with him leading us. Wait until January & get an entire new FO and coaching staff.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #5
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
If a head coach gets fired midseason teams usually promote an interim guy from the staff. The firing can also spark a little resurgence and almost 2 out of 5 interim guys keep the job.

If Kubiak gets fired before the end of the year Phillips takes over.

I don't want a 2014 with him leading us.
Wait until January & get an entire new FO and coaching staff.
I don't want Phillips either.
Old 11-17-2013   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Doubtful. Kubiak's seat wasn't hot going into the season. Despite the FO's frustration with him this year, they have too much respect for him to not give him a dignified exit. The only way he gets fired mid season is if the players give up on him, and that's also doubtful since they love him. The midseason stroke also reduces the odds.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2013   #8
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Does it really matter? Firing midseason vs after the season doesn't seem to have much impact. It's just easier to clean house after season is over.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #9
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thank you! You said it before I could. Rep forthcoming.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #10
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #11
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher is going to probably want full control to come out of retirement. I don't like that idea because he has never made personnel decisions before.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #12
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

the only thing firing gary does now is send a message to the team and show potential head coaches, were available

but you have to stand strong by not keeping the interim coach no matter what happens
Old 11-17-2013   #13
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm probably in the minority, but I think suffering the stroke makes it easier to let Kubiak go.

McNair can say it was a "mutual decision" and "will allow Gary to focus on regaining his full health." Something like that.

I think that's how it'll happen, and after today's game will happen before the season ends. Like this week or next.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #14
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want Wade to be the next coach either. I think if that happens there is a chance we keep the same offensive staff, and that does nothing to fix the problems on this team.

I also want Rick Smith gone too. I think hiring a real GM and letting him hire a head coach to implement his philosophy if the way we need to go moving forward.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #15
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

If they pull the trigger now and avoid any dithering around then maybe they can find someone new as soon as the season is over.

Do not want Wade. He's failed as a head coach multiple times and there really isn't any reason to believe this team would be any better.
Old 11-17-2013   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391219 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure how 16 teams having done it over a 13 year time period translates to likely.

Why do it?
Old 11-17-2013   #17
tvaughan
Rookie

Rep Power: 3384 tvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I think suffering the stroke makes it easier to let Kubiak go.

McNair can say it was a "mutual decision" and "will allow Gary to focus on regaining his full health." Something like that.

I think that's how it'll happen, and after today's game will happen before the season ends. Like this week or next.
I think this is right on.

I think it is WAY out of character for McNair to fire midseason, but it would also not surprise me to wake up tomorrow and find out it happened.

This year, and Kubiak's game today were that bad.
tvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #18
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post

I predict it won't happen during the season. With our luck, it might not happen at all. Or they hire Wade Phillips, almost as bad.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #19
Norg
Hall of Fame

I can see why they might go the Wade Phillips route cuz his dad and kinda him are so loved in HOuston
Old 11-18-2013   #20
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can see why they might go the Wade Phillips route cuz his dad and kinda him are so loved in HOuston
Could be the WORST THING EVER. Unless they hire some young hotshot to be OC

Wade would probably hire his son...
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read