Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-04-2013   #1
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default **offical texans 2014 draft thread **

Yup seasons over who we gettin I thought we would be a sure fire QB pick but the way case is playing I don't know

I think we deff gotta go D
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #2
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1491 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: **offical texans 2014 draft thread **

Think we can **** the bed enough to get Clowney to pair with JJ?
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Need LB's and OL in no particular order. Need to clean house and kick some of the dead weight off the roster.
Old 11-04-2013   #4
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Need LB's and OL in no particular order. Need to clean house and kick some of the dead weight off the roster.
My suggested cuts (only notable ones):
Ed Reed
Matt Schaub
J-Jo
Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Bullock

Possible cut:
Foster?? I think he is done and worn down unfortunately. (not sure, maybe pay Tate and cut Foster if it makes sense financially)

I think this would free a crap load of cap space to sign our younger players to better deals. K-Jax, JJ Watt, Tate will all need new deals.

Any input on this?
Old 11-04-2013   #5
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Ed Reed
Matt Schaub
J-Jo
Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Bullock

Possible cut:
Foster?? I think he is done and worn down unfortunately. (not sure, maybe pay Tate and cut Foster if it makes sense financially)

I think this would free a crap load of cap space to sign our younger players to better deals. K-Jax, JJ Watt, Tate will all need new deals.

Any input on this?
My question is, who steps up at CB with JJo gone? Basically you have KJax, JJo and hot garbage behind them. All rookies or any FAs out there to target?

Also, Ninja may be a cap casualty but he's still clearly you 3rd best defensive player (Cushing, Watt). Crick has been pedestrian in relief of Smith.

Cut Foster and pay Tate? Maybe but I'd probably cut Foster and let Tate get paid somewhere else. Draft or go FA to get their replacements. Too many team holes to pay so much for injury prone RBs.
Old 11-04-2013   #6
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

We need so many things it is hard to prioritize.

Is Case the next Drew Brees? Wont know until we put a better O-line in front of him in my opinion. So do you go O-line first or QB?

Regardless if Cushing ever returns to form, we need ILB help in a huge way.

Secondary is still suspect, although the rookie looks like the real deal at strong safety.

Kicker is crap but we should be able to address that in FA.

DL needs to add another serious pass rush threat, and wouldn't mind some girth in the middle.

Our number one running back seems to have grown a vagina.

This team is unfortunately, because of Gary insisting on staying with Schaub, now two to three years away from contending again. So now we need to build moving forward the right way, not thinking we are one player from winning it all.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Reed
Matt Schaub
J-Jo
Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Bullock

Possible cut:

Any input on this?
Sharpton and Ninja are Free Agents next year so we don't need to worry about "cutting" them. Sharpton is garbage, but I would definitely bring Ninja back for the right price. I would definitely cut Bullock. Cutting Schaub, Reed, and Joseph would put tons of dead money on us if we cut them. Not to mention that although he is overpaid, Joseph is far superior to the hot garbage we have at CB behind him and Jackson.

Tate is a FA and is going to get starter money thrown at him. No way we can reasonably match. Cutting a worn down Foster for an injury prone Tate just does not make sense.

Jackson has a team option that we can use to hold onto him for an extra year and if his play continues to progress then give him a new contract. Watt needs an extension ASAP.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2013   #8
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Cutting Schaub, Reed, and Joseph would put tons of dead money on us if we cut them. Not to mention that although he is overpaid, Joseph is far superior to the hot garbage we have at CB behind him and Jackson.
Actually cutting those 3 would SAVE over 10 million in cap space.
Schaub 4,000,000
JJo 3,750,000
Reed 2,666,666
Old 11-04-2013   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Reed
Matt Schaub
J-Jo
Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Bullock

Possible cut:

Any input on this?
Ed Reed: you can cut after this season and save a wee bit but need to be comfortable with Swearinger + imo draft high.

Joseph: No one on roster to replace him and unfortunately weak draft. Good news is if there is a FA out there you like you can cut Joseph and use savings to go after FA. Big risk. I had said elsewhere if he recovered health wise we could bonus him out and add 2 years as he would be in early 30s but it might be best to keep him as is and keep eating his contract like we are doing with Ninja and Wade Smith.

A. Smith: last year of contract, 32 YOA, $9 million cap hit for about 3 tackles/game.

Sharpton: needs to go into politic with his uncle.
Bullock: who? lol

No way Foster gets cut and Kareem Jackson is under a team option for 2014 at just under 2014.
Old 11-04-2013   #10
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
Think we can **** the bed enough to get Clowney to pair with JJ?
Clowney is lazy. Even Spurrier (his college coach) is just about done with him. Give me a guy with a relentless work ethic over a guy with all the tools but no desire to use them.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-04-2013   #11
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1491 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clowney is lazy. Even Spurrier (his college coach) is just about done with him. Give me a guy with a relentless work ethic over a guy with all the tools but no desire to use them.
That's fine. Think we can **** the bed enough to get <insert whoever you think is the best college football player in America>??

I think we can.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #12
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
That's fine. Think we can **** the bed enough to get <insert whoever you think is the best college football player in America>??

I think we can.
We're certainly trying our best so far. All we need to do is gift JAX 2 games and we're golden.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-04-2013   #13
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Qb first rd.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #14
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Linebacker please.

But really, let's not start this "tanking" **** here too. Please God no.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #15
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Qb first rd.
Not with how Case is playing. I think we have bigger holes than QB.
Old 11-04-2013   #16
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Qb first rd.
Notice how my sig has no INT's listed.

Keenum has been playing great. He's playing better than what yates played back in 11. Unless if we are in position to pick up Bridgewater, or some gamechanger, I think we stick with Keenum. Of course, we still have the rest of the season to play.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #17
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like inside linebacker C.J. Mosley out of Alabama. He could instantly become our team captain on defense for the next 10-plus years. Pairing him with J.J. Watt in our front seven would be the start of something great for a long time on our defense.

Mosley could become the next Ray Lewis in the NFL. He has that type of athleticism and ability. And with Brian Cushing having two major knee injuries in one year (missing the bulk of two seasons in a row), it just makes too much sense if we're in that position to select him.

We need more young talent on defense. Hopefully Cushing comes back healthy in 2014, but either way we can ease him back if we have Mosley starting as a rookie. We need to re-work that salary cap space as well.

Rick Smith over-paid the likes of Arian Foster, Matt Schaub and Brian Cushing - extending their contracts sooner than he had to. We need all three to restructure their deals this summer. Schaub may even be released after June 1. Not too worried about Owen Daniels since his salary is smaller but it wouldn't shock me if he's released. There are some guys we simply can't count on to be healthy anymore. We have to be smart with our off-season moves.
Old 11-04-2013   #18
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not saying that it wouldn't free up cap space. It would. What I'm saying is you handcuff the cap because that dead money doesn't just disappear. You free up an immediate $4 million to use, but that $10 million is gone.

If the salary cap were $150 million then we would only be able to use $140 million because of the $10 million in dead money that's already allocated to the cap.
Hehe - so you keep players you don't like or that can't play and have $0 cap space. Dead money sucks but if you can get better players with the 10 million left, you cut them.
Old 11-04-2013   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

do whatever is needed to grab JAKE MATTHEWS.

after that, spend the rest of the draft on linebackers. no BPA. no filling other holes. just linebacker after linebacker - OLB, ILB, 43, 34, rush, cover, specialists, whatever. linebackers.

14 wins next year.
Old 11-04-2013   #20
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Hehe - so you keep players you don't like or that can't play and have $0 cap space. Dead money sucks but if you can get better players with the 10 million left, you cut them.
But can you get better players? A lot of those guys are on the street for a reason.

The dead money also stays with the team. It doesn't just disappear after one year. I'm pretty sure we carried Anthony Weaver's dead money for like 3 years. It probably has something to do with the time remaining on the contract when you cut them.

That said, what QB is going to be better than Schaub? If you're fine with Yates at backup, then cut him. Use that money for a #3 QB. I agree that there is no reason to pay him that salary if there is no intention to use him. I'm pretty sure he's the backup though and Yates is #3.

What CB on the street is going to be better than Joseph? I don't think there is one. Joseph has definitely lost a step, but cutting him would put McCain and Harris on the field permanently. Not exactly making the team better.

I will give you Reed, he's awful. There are better options.

- The Immortal Bo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read