Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-03-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Martin v. Incognito: [update] Wells Report released

Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Quote:
The situation involving Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin continues to get more and more bizarre.

In the wake of the Dolphins issuing an “all is well” statement, it’s clear that all isn’t well. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Martin will be placed on the non-football illness list as soon as Tuesday. Per Rapoport, Martin doesn’t feel comfortable returning to the team “unless the situation changes drastically in the Dolphins locker room.”

So Martin hasn’t complained of bullying, but he thinks things need to change dramatically in order to return to the team?
Quote:
Then there’s the question of whether the NFLPA is or isn’t investigating the situation. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith has called the situation a “major priority,” and subsequent reports indicated that an investigation was occurring. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN the probe initially focused on guard Richie Incognito.
To add even more confusion to an already confusing situation, Rapoport says that “the NFLPA has not launched an investigation” but the union is in “information gathering mode.”

How is that different than an investigation?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Not surprised at all Ingognito is involved, what a first class asshat.
Old 11-03-2013   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

I'm still trying to understand how a NFL offensive lineman can be bullied?
Old 11-03-2013   #4
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6009 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Have you watched Derek Newton this season?
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, the whole situation is really very silly isn't it. But I won't be at all surprised if we see a piece on the nightly national news soon suggesting there should be sensitivity training for NFL players re their interactions with both opponents and teammates. The NFL is definitely in full-blown wussification mode
and we are headed full speed towards touch football.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard it has something to do with a prank that went too far, but I don't know the details of it. I'd like to hear what it is all about.
Old 11-03-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I heard it has something to do with a prank that went too far, but I don't know the details of it. I'd like to hear what it is all about.
Yeah, every party is being so mysterious about all this it piques my curiosity. Incognito being investigated, then saying he & Martin are cool. NFLPA saying we're not investigating, just doing an inquiry...? And Miami putting a starting OT on the non-football injury/illness list? They need all hands on deck on their O-line. Matin's own cryptic tweets. It's all very...
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2013   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Yes, the whole situation is really very silly isn't it. But I won't be at all surprised if we see a piece on the nightly national news soon suggesting there should be sensitivity training for NFL players re their interactions with both opponents and teammates. The NFL is definitely in full-blown wussification mode
and we are headed full speed towards touch football.

I had wondered how long it would take for somebody in this thread to whiteknight a known piece of ****. Turns out it was 5 whole posts, wow.

Quote:
I'm gonna have to do this Jen, I don't want to, but I must to make my point.
I'm guessing you've never played football ? OK, well I have, both in high school and in college, though I assure my collegiate football experience was very unremarkable and the scholastic end of it not much better. But while playing in HS and college, I can't tell you how many incidents I've seen of bullying, varying degrees to be sure. And actually a couple of them were pretty flagrant, pretty nasty situations in other words. It's part of the territory, it's a very, very physical sport played by some really tough guys, certainly at the NFL level. And it's also tough mentally and psychologically because much of it is about being the most macho person in the contest, winning whichever mano-a-mano contest a player might be involved in that's always playing out on the field be it CB vs WR, OT vs edge-rusher, OC vs NT, TE vs LB, etc. In other words, a guy has to have a certain mentality or psyche along with athletic talent, or he's not got what it takes for serious football, certainly not pro ball. And seminars or sensitive training or whatever aren't gonna correct the situation, not for the bully or his victim. Best solution would be to change occupations to office work, or something, anything that's civilized because pro football isn't.
I take the previous "wow" back and want to put it here. Wow. You would probably fit in just perfectly with these dudes --> http://www.castefootball.us/forums/forum.php
Old 11-05-2013   #9
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I had wondered how long it would take for somebody in this thread to whiteknight a known piece of ****. Turns out it was 5 whole posts, wow.

I take the previous "wow" back and want to put it here. Wow. You would probably fit in just perfectly with these dudes --> http://www.castefootball.us/forums/forum.php
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if that dude has ever played organized sports in his life. Probably just heard stories from more bench warmers who have never got in the game.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
ugh...I had no idea what I was clicking into!

That's a whole lotta' stupid in one place. Now I have to wonder about my IP address being connected to such a despicable site.

But, yeah, Incognito and his support group would fit right in.
Old 11-03-2013   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Bullying isn't always about size. And it's evidently a tactic around the league to bring out the fight in a player. I believe Prince Amukamara was bullied for two seasons, but says he runs with the "in group" on the Giants now -- which begs the question, if there's an "in" group then who's not a part of the "cool kids gang" and how does that hurt/help the team?
Old 11-04-2013   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a fan of negative reps, but, man, I'm tempted today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #13
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's what I really think besides thoroughly enjoying it when everyone gets all pizzed-off at me for expressing my opinion:
those who've never played football are about as qualified to offer their opinions about intra team chemistry on a football team as those who have never been in the service are qualified to offer perceptive insights to the pros & cons of women in combat units as men are qualified to offer thoughtful insight & comments about the experiences of discomfort and pain that women suffer during childbirth.
No one is angry that you expressed your opinion; we are just saying that your opinion is DUMB.

Old 11-04-2013   #14
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This is true

And be cut before the start of next season if the Lawyers will let the Dolphins cut him. Martin has been soft and played terrible this yr. He was being counted on to be the Dolphins LT for the next 10 yrs. He couldn't handle those responsibilities and was weak minded.

This story gets the fans mind off of his terrible play and focuses on his feelings, which was his goal in all of this. Incognito was trying to toughen Martin up and help the team. Did he go too far and use despicable behavior? Yes.

But apparently most of the Dolphins OL mates agrred with Incognito and backed him up. The Dolphins coaches must have agreed with Incognito also because they didn't stop it. This means that Martin wont be long for Miami.

Martin's biggest knock coming out of college was that he wasn't physical enough. Sounds like Martin will be Gary's RT of the future. I'm sure he will fit in quite well with Newton.

BTW, this is why it will be a long time before an openly gay player will be welcomed on a team. Teams look to avoid stuff like this like the plague. If you were to ask Ireland if he's glad that he drafted Martin or if he wishes he would've passed on Martin and Ireland was honest, I garuntee you Martin wouldn't be a Dolphin today.
Wow.

Thinking like this is why Martin will likely get a massive liability settlement from the Dolphins.

So, "toughening him up" means using the n-word, and threatening to kill him? Extorting money from him?

And, his terrible play likely would have gotten him eventually cut. If he couldn't hack it, or wasn't physical enough, the system would have weeded him out.

Mario was labeled soft coming out of college, and I don't think any Texans players or staff harassed him to this level. At least, we haven't heard about it.

The Dolphins could have simply benched him and then released him at the end of the season.

Would you have preferred Martin bring in a gun and go ballistic and kill people? Would that have made him "tough" enough?

Old 02-14-2014   #15
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 34626 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ted Wells report released

NFL.com reports that according to the Ted Wells report, Richie Incognito, John Jerry, Mike Pouncey engaged in pattern of harassment directed at not only Jonathan Martin, but also others.

I love this. After all the fluff pieces NFL.com wrote after the Smith Incognito mishap, they are having to eat their words with the real truth of what this dirt bag is really like.

I had my doubts about the character of a guy like Pouncey as well when he and his brother wore those "FREE HERNANDEZ" hats. Now it appears he too is a bully as well as a bad judge of character.

Incognito deserves to be booted from the league for all of the dirty things he has done his entire career, but this is going to be the straw that broke the camels back, and I applaud Martin for taking a stand and speaking out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...miami-dolphins

"Keenum has an aura about him". -Andre Johnson
"She did a Mean Macarena to the Funky Cold Medina" -S. Hagar
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ted Wells report released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
NFL.com reports that according to the Ted Wells report, Richie Incognito, John Jerry, Mike Pouncey engaged in pattern of harassment directed at not only Jonathan Martin, but also others.

I love this. After all the fluff pieces NFL.com wrote after the Smith Incognito mishap, they are having to eat their words with the real truth of what this dirt bag is really like.

I had my doubts about the character of a guy like Pouncey as well when he and his brother wore those "FREE HERNANDEZ" hats. Now it appears he too is a bully as well as a bad judge of character.

Incognito deserves to be booted from the league for all of the dirty things he has done his entire career, but this is going to be the straw that broke the camels back, and I applaud Martin for taking a stand and speaking out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...miami-dolphins

Sunday School class/Daycare is now open.

We wouldn't want any old mean dirty players on the Texans HOF OL. Atleast you didn't call Incognito a racist as some were doing earlier before all of the facts started coming out.

I personally could care less about what goes on in an NFL lockerroom. It's entertainment. I do care about winning on the field.

Have we heard from player A?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sunday School class/Daycare is now open.

We wouldn't want any old mean dirty players on the Texans HOF OL. Atleast you didn't call Incognito a racist as some were doing earlier before all of the facts started coming out.
Sounds like a racist to me. He not only used racial slurs but in texts to a white teammate talked about how specific guns would be good for killing black people, in multiple instances. Associating with black people doesn't give you a free pass to make strange statements like that.

Quote:
I personally could care less about what goes on in an NFL lockerroom. It's entertainment. I do care about winning on the field.

Have we heard from player A?
I almost fully agree with this, but I do hope that we never have a locker room situation in which this type of thing is going on.

I don't think a team with this type of culture can ever truly become a champion. People need to have some kind of bond to be a special group. Too many people don't respond well in this type of culture.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 02-14-2014 at 06:13 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Sounds like a racist to me. He not only used racial slurs but in texts to a white teammate talked about how specific guns would be good for killing black people, in multiple instances. Associating with black people doesn't give you a free pass to make strange statements like that.

I almost fully agree with this, but I do hope that we never have a locker room situation in which this type of thing is going on.

I don't think a team with this type of culture can ever truly become a champion. People need to have some kind of bond to be a special group. Too many people don't respond well in this type of culture.
True

Micheal Irvin stabbed Everrett McKyer in the neck with a pair of scissors for taking Irvin's spot in the barbers chair and those Cowboys teams were pretty good.

The coaches got on Charles Haley in the meeting room in SF. Haley proceeded to drop trou and take a crap on the floor. Those 49ers teams were pretty good. It's about talent/brains more than anything else.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Re: Martin v. Incognito: [update] Wells Report released

Everyone has met a Johnathon Martin before. He was that kid who when teased/bullied 1)took it personally and 2)was unable to respond. It's surprising that he did not have a firm enough sense of self to extract himself from that trio by choosing different team members to hang with, but I can't fault him for that.

How does no one in that lockerroom stand up for the Japanese trainer those knuckleheads were targeting??? Or the gay teammate? When will the character guys intervene and say "enough is enough"?

I have zero tolerance for bullying. Martin obviously brought his own weaknesses to this environment..... but is he required to fistfight his teammates to neutralize them? What if he breaks his hand or Richie's jaw? What if he hits him with a weight or some other weapon?

I lay the blame for this at the feet of the Dolphins organization. I have less disdain for Incognito and Pouncey -- who needed to be trained -- than I do the people who ignored this. Somebody needed to be the adult here... no one stood up. That, imo, is cowardice.
Old 02-14-2014   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Martin v. Incognito: [update] Wells Report released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
How does no one in that lockerroom stand up for the Japanese trainer those knuckleheads were targeting???
Yep. You know, the guys all over this topic with "Martin should have just punched the guy" as a solution - what's this little trainer guy do? I'm betting he'd have a hard time whipping Incognito's ass. Maybe he should just snap and shoot him in the parking lot?

Bullies are a problem when they're allowed to be a problem. It's the problem I always had with the school system. I was the type of kid to fight back. Literally got into hundreds of fights. When those fights occurred on school grounds, I got into trouble because "fighting is wrong". Well then, have the bully stop bullying and I won't have to handle it, right?

*sigh* I hate people.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read