Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-29-2004   #1
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy
Default Position battles: AFC South

Quote:
Houston Texans
Domanick Davis vs. Tony Hollings, running back

Davis burst onto the scene as a rookie fourth-round pick last year when he rushed for more than 1,000 yards, despite missing the first part of the season with an injury. Davis has already gone on record as saying 2,000 yards is his goal this year. But Hollings might have something to say about that. The Texans took him in the supplemental draft last summer with the idea he could be a back of the future. He was coming off knee surgery, so they knew it would take some time. Hollings flashed at times when he did get on the field last season, and could be more of an every-down back than Davis.

Edge: Davis. Been there, done that.

Opening-day starter: Davis. It's not going to be easy taking away his carries.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7458113

It will be intresting to see how the RB position unfolds by mid-season.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #2
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I didn't realize how ugly DD was until I saw that award photo. I guess God gave him talents in other areas.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #3
J-Man
Veteran

Think that DD will probably end up being more durable than most people believe. Hollings may end up being an outstanding back (I sure hope so!) but the job will stay with DD as long as he is producing with at least similar numbers from last year.

I think pre-season we will get to see the potential of Hollings. Hollings is going to try and showcase himself to establish his postion and game ability firmly in the minds of the coaching staff.

Just curious but what are the lengths of Davis and Hollings contracts?

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think that we will simply use Hollings and Davis in packages depending on the nature and strength of the opposing defense each week with DD as the starter. Some games may feature Hollings more and some may feature Davis more if Hollings becomes the back the Texans and Casserly believed he would mature to when they first picked him. We can use the strength of each back to exploit the weakness in the individual opponents defense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #5
J-Man
Veteran

Vin...that's pretty much where I think this could go over the course of the season. That was one of the reasons I was curious about the contract lengths of the Hopefully Dynamic Duo. Normally when your stable of RBs includes more than one starting quality back they will force the management thru free agency to make a decision and let one go.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

J-Man, I believe that they both signed 4 year contracts (I know Hollings did), so they will be restricted FA's after 2006.

I agree with Vinny that who gets the carries a certain game will depend on the opposing defense. For example, DD will probably gets most of the snaps against Cover 2 teams because he is a reliable dump off target. Hollings will probably play aginst teams that like to run blitz so he can burn them long with his unbelievable speed.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read