Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-29-2013   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colts game and 2014 draft

My primary focus is going to be Keenum as his play will definitely impact our draft. If he is as good as I think, I will contemplate leaving Yates as cheap back up and go QB last day and probably sign UDFA.

2. RT, an extra week of rest should help Newton & I'll focus here to decide which round I address this position. Brown needs to step up. Quessenbury replaces W. Smith so I will draft OL regardless, just where? A first got D.B and a 7th got Newton so a 3-4 should land quality player, eh?

3. LB no matter what happens, I draft ILB high. OLB has not been improved much last 2-3 seasons in draft so maybe focusing on Nose and ILBs will improve what we have at OLB. Mercilus had lots of college sacks and has only been so so. Is that player issue or Wade Phillips training? I think later rounds can address DB depth.

This week after a bye should provide tons of info on draft.
Old 10-29-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colts game and 2014 draft

I'll just be honest here. I've checked out for this season. I had checked out a while ago actually. For me this season is only about evaluation at this point. Who stays, who goes. That's all I'm looking at.

If they start winning some games to make a run and make this thing interesting, I'll just be pleasantly surprised. But right now I'm just feeling like we pissed another season away due to slow reacting ho-hum decision making.

There are some positions/players I'm pretty much convinced about. Others where I need to see more.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'll just be honest here. I've checked out for this season. I had checked out a while ago actually. For me this season is only about evaluation at this point. Who stays, who goes. That's all I'm looking at.

If they start winning some games to make a run and make this thing interesting, I'll just be pleasantly surprised. But right now I'm just feeling like we pissed another season away due to slow reacting ho-hum decision making.

There are some positions/players I'm pretty much convinced about. Others where I need to see more.
I can understand that. I will not watch sucky football or anything lese for that matter. Why I checked out on Astros and until recently the Rockets.
Old 10-29-2013   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed, primary focus is on Keenum. While he was very good against the Chiefs there were mistakes as well, lets see if he makes progress. Having had 2 weeks to prepare, I expect more this time. I want to see him take snaps under Center, pocket awareness, mobility, working his progressions, and command the offense. I think he can do it, and given a real chance could possibly be our QB of the future, but the jury is still out. I still think QB needs to be addressed in the draft no later than the 3rd round no matter how good Keenum looks.

The rest should help everyone with minor injuries and to just decompress for a bit, but I don't really expect anything better from Brown and Newton, their injuries require more rehab than just 2 weeks off. Agreed, Quessenberry at LG next season, though I wouldn't mind seeing him get a tryout at RT either. An O-lineman somewhere in the first 3 rounds, preferably at RT.

I also think LB is a priority but we disagree on how to fix the issue. To me Reed isn't a good OLB and would be much better off at ILB, thus fix both spots by picking an OLB in the 1st or 2nd. Maybe Adrian Hubbard in the 2nd.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Agreed, primary focus is on Keenum. While he was very good against the Chiefs there were mistakes as well, lets see if he makes progress. Having had 2 weeks to prepare, I expect more this time. I want to see him take snaps under Center, pocket awareness, mobility, working his progressions, and command the offense. I think he can do it, and given a real chance could possibly be our QB of the future, but the jury is still out. I still think QB needs to be addressed in the draft no later than the 3rd round no matter how good Keenum looks.

The rest should help everyone with minor injuries and to just decompress for a bit, but I don't really expect anything better from Brown and Newton, their injuries require more rehab than just 2 weeks off. Agreed, Quessenberry at LG next season, though I wouldn't mind seeing him get a tryout at RT either. An O-lineman somewhere in the first 3 rounds, preferably at RT.

I also think LB is a priority but we disagree on how to fix the issue. To me Reed isn't a good OLB and would be much better off at ILB, thus fix both spots by picking an OLB in the 1st or 2nd. Maybe Adrian Hubbard in the 2nd.
Just to keep my thinker thinking and you know on my last posted mock I selected McCarron in 3rd, the starting QB usually gets 99% snaps with Texans and if Keenum is that guy, he will get same. Why not use higher picks for other positions & allow "projects" like Yates and late round or UDFA train? Now if I think Keenum may not be the guy (and that is why I select AJ) of course go higher. That is why Keenum needs to show something Sunday. I am researching a new (to me) prospect for 7th round..

ILB: as posted elsewhere, Phillips today blew up the idea of Reed to inside. What makes you think we will select the answer at OLB with our draft history? You are more optimistic than I. lol

Q: I agree that he could possibly be a RT for us but that leaves LG wide open as nothing on roster now. So if you think you want him at RT you have to draft for LG and very high. Even if Brennan Williams is healthy, I don't see his skills at either OG. So any mock you do should have OG top 3. Too bad there are not many.
Old 10-31-2013   #6
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Last yr in the playoffs had 12 qbs

Peyton,luck,flacco,rg3,rogers,ryan,and ponder were 1st rd picks.
Dalton,kapernick, were early 2nd rd picks
Wilson,schaub were 3rd rd picks
Brady was a 6th

Judging that tells me your qb should be a 1 or high 2nd rd pick.
If we look at the teams with a winning record in the afc right now. Peyton,Smith,River,Luck,Brady,and dalton. That's 4 1st rd picks a high 2nd and brady, the exception.
Old 10-31-2013   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just to keep my thinker thinking and you know on my last posted mock I selected McCarron in 3rd, the starting QB usually gets 99% snaps with Texans and if Keenum is that guy, he will get same. Why not use higher picks for other positions & allow "projects" like Yates and late round or UDFA train? Now if I think Keenum may not be the guy (and that is why I select AJ) of course go higher. That is why Keenum needs to show something Sunday. I am researching a new (to me) prospect for 7th round..

ILB: as posted elsewhere, Phillips today blew up the idea of Reed to inside. What makes you think we will select the answer at OLB with our draft history? You are more optimistic than I. lol

Q: I agree that he could possibly be a RT for us but that leaves LG wide open as nothing on roster now. So if you think you want him at RT you have to draft for LG and very high. Even if Brennan Williams is healthy, I don't see his skills at either OG. So any mock you do should have OG top 3. Too bad there are not many.
This team has so many needs. Where teams get in trouble is when they pass up the best talent for need. I want a RT and a backup OG too. But if Keenum is the man I would draft a dominate NT or pass rusher in the 1st. Those guys are much harder to fill than a RT/OG.

There should be some real good LG/RT talent in rds 3-4. If Ques (Likely) and/or Williams make it back, (Unlikely) then the OL just needs depth.

If Williams doesn't make it back I could see Quessenberry playing RT and the Texans drafting an OG in rd 4-5 and Rick signing a vet minimum OG. depth will still be an issue. But no more of an issue than the current Rick/Gary regime.

Thanks for showing some Carrethers highlights. I dont think he makes it to the end of rd2. He's this yrs Brandon Williams. Williams has been getting PT with the Ravens, he's the reason they cut Spears yesterday. The Ravens have alot of depth on their DL. I wish I could say that about the Texans.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2013   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My primary focus is going to be Keenum as his play will definitely impact our draft. If he is as good as I think, I will contemplate leaving Yates as cheap back up and go QB last day and probably sign UDFA.
That's the sort of thinking that got the team into this mess, IMO. You should always plan to have a guy waiting in the wings. That guy may not pan out at any given point, but expecting a higher round draft pick to live up to those expectations is a lot more reasonable than expecting a late round/undrafted guy to do it, for the most part (I don't buy into the draft evaluation process completely).

I say if Keenum turns out to be the guy we all hope he is, then the team should draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, maybe the 4th if they think they have identified a guy that can be a starter. Develop that QB for a year or two, all the while letting him compete against Keenum. If Keenum continues to beat him out, then you either have a Tom Brady situation or a busted draft pick on the second guy. Either way, competition is good for the position.

If Keenum falls on his face this season, then you have to take QB in the first or second round, I think. Either way, you don't go into 2014 with all your hopes pinned on Keenum.
Old 10-31-2013   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's the sort of thinking that got the team into this mess, IMO. You should always plan to have a guy waiting in the wings. That guy may not pan out at any given point, but expecting a higher round draft pick to live up to those expectations is a lot more reasonable than expecting a late round/undrafted guy to do it, for the most part (I don't buy into the draft evaluation process completely).

I say if Keenum turns out to be the guy we all hope he is, then the team should draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, maybe the 4th if they think they have identified a guy that can be a starter. Develop that QB for a year or two, all the while letting him compete against Keenum. If Keenum continues to beat him out, then you either have a Tom Brady situation or a busted draft pick on the second guy. Either way, competition is good for the position.

If Keenum falls on his face this season, then you have to take QB in the first or second round, I think. Either way, you don't go into 2014 with all your hopes pinned on Keenum.
Uh, the bolded is exactly what I said, other than being a 5th round, Yates was someone Gary thought he could train into a solid QB. That may still be the case (no pun) and why I am willing to keep TJ on roster. Keenum just seems to have turned out to be a better player than Yates. As I said, MS for his years with Houston has basically started every play if healthy so if you have a decent prospect like Keenum why not train him up? You cannot always have a top 3 round pick at every position especially with this team. I was hoping next draft would be one we could go BPA a lot more but that ain't happening. If Keenum is the guy we still need RT, ILB, a Nose (both of ours are FAs) a resolution for Ninja (draft or he re-signs) and maybe a LG if Q is not the starter with no regular season games played. If Keenum not the guy, I agree we have to go high for a QB but who? All of the talked about guys need to play much better for me to spend a high first.

Every season Matt played, we went with just him with hopes pinned on. If our starter is decent, back ups have not been a problem as they basically sit. Is that best scenario, no but it is what we have done since the beginning.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read