Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-02-2013   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

I tried making up a mock last night but with so many questions surrounding the Texans at QB, with Antonio Smith reaching FA, and major needs at RT, CB, and OLB it's hard to decide where to go. That's 5 needs in the first 2 rounds. Needs in no particular order:

QB, I agree with the consensus opinion that Schaub needs to go but I doubt seriously the Texans will cut him at the end of this season due to the guaranteed money still owed him. And I agree with BB that Keenum is being groomed as his replacement, so I don't think the Texans will spend a 1st on a QB in 2014.

OLB, a stud OLB would free up the team to move Brooks Reed to ILB and kill 2 birds with 1 stone at the same time adding quality and depth to the LB corp as a whole. This would probably give us the biggest pay off in the 1st round.

RT, we desperately need to solidify the RT spot and gain some continuity and depth on the O-line. I had high hopes for Brennan Williams but after micro fracture surgery I doubt he ever plays a snap for us. Will Newton ever get over his injury and become a quality RT or do we replace him. Even if we replace him I don't think the Texans want to use a 1st on the RT spot.

DT/DE, this all depends on if Antonio Smith is re-signed, I sure hope he is, at a team friendly deal lowering his cap hit. I also don't see Jamison or Crick as the Ninja's replacement, neither has the pass rush ability.

CB, we need an upgrade in quality and depth in the secondary so that teams will quit picking on McCain and we need to stock up for the future. CB's take a while to develop so they have to be taken a year or 2 ahead of when you want them to start.

Opinions? Where do you think we spend that 2014 1st round pick, and if you can only fill 2 of these needs in the first 2 rounds, which are they?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #2
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

DE, I don't think we can afford Antonio after this year unless he accepts a super friendly deal. This needs to be in the top 2.

After that I can't prioritize yet. My first response is RT but I think we won't because of our depth on IR.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

QB for me, to watch and learn in Schaub's final year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
QB for me, to watch and learn in Schaub's final year.
I honestly don't think Schaub is the QB going into next season .... they have an exit plan in place and I fully expect them to take advantage of it unless he has some miraculous turnaround over the final 3/4 of the season & no less than an appearance in the big game.

This roster is just too damn good everywhere else to let poor play at such an important position ruin its chances.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #5
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

im thinking we go CB or ILB. typically we have drafted a replacement for a FA that will gone the year before so im thinking Rick Smith is going to try to keep the ninja as a DE wasnt drafted last year. also i think we have adequate depth at the position in jamison, crick and now montgomery, so even if smith does go i dont think we take one in the first round unless some unbelievable talent falls.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

BQBA (Best Quarter Back Available). If that means move up in the draft order then so be it. Do Texans need a better QB? Maybe not but from a fans perspective, it's long overdue. This organization has tortured its fan base long enough with average play from the most important position on their beloved football team. C'mon Man! David Carr to Matt Schaub, is that the best you can do? Does that compare to Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck, or Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers? Makes me sick. Stop treating your fans like ****, get a real QB for a real Football Team, any questions where to spend the 2014 1st rd. draft pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I honestly don't think Schaub is the QB going into next season ....
Even more reason to select a QB.
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2013   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone notice that McCarron has dropped to #91 on CBSSports? TBH other than my guy Verrett, I don't see anyone in first round screaming "I am your guy!" Trade down? If Marqise Lee returns from knee sprain healthy he could be BPA.
Old 10-03-2013   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

What if we went a different route and added Safety to that list of needs. How about Hasean Clinton-Dix-FS from Alabama? Ed Reed could easily be a one and done player for the Texans, Safety is definitely a need, if trying to save some money we could cut Manning (expecting a 1st round pick to start), and everything I've seen/heard/and read says that Clinton-Dix is an elite level Safety. I think he could vastly improve our secondary without waiting a year or 2 for a CB to adjust to the NFL. Worth considering in the 1st?
Old 10-03-2013   #10
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113664 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really haven't watched as much tape as I should on McCarron, but does anyone really get a vibe that at his very best he's just going to be a step to the side rather than a step up from Matt Schaub? It's a really strange gut feeling I get, and (disclaimer) I have no proof or tape to back that up, but it bothers me for some reason because I have a feeling he will be there when we're picking and our FO is going to be tempted to pick him.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Anyone notice that McCarron has dropped to #91 on CBSSports? TBH other than my guy Verrett, I don't see anyone in first round screaming "I am your guy!" Trade down? If Marqise Lee returns from knee sprain healthy he could be BPA.
You can have McCarron .... I'd much rather have Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd.

They wont be picking high enough for Bridgewater , Mariota or Hundley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I really haven't watched as much tape as I should on McCarron, but does anyone really get a vibe that at his very best he's just going to be a step to the side rather than a step up from Matt Schaub? It's a really strange gut feeling I get, and (disclaimer) I have no proof or tape to back that up, but it bothers me for some reason because I have a feeling he will be there when we're picking and our FO is going to be tempted to pick him.
I don't at all disagree ... Just think he's a product of the system & talent around him at Bama. And to be quite honest , despite all that talent , that offense isn't very good. (That says a lot about the A&M defense sucking too now doesn't it ?!)

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Well eliminated a couple positions from the above list of possibilities.

Safety, Clinton-Dix is the only guy worthy of a 1st round pick and he went and got himself kicked off the team by hiring an agent. I doubt the Texans go for someone making this kind of bone headed move.

QB, as badly as I want Schaub gone and someone else in his place, if it does happen I think it would be Keenum. I don't think we draft a QB early to replace Schaub.

DE/DT, the more I think about it the more I think Antonio Smith is gone after this season in FA (hate to see him go) and that his replacement is already here, Crick, Montgomery, or Jamison. It will most likely be Crick that gets a year to show that he can replace the Ninja.

OT, I don't see the Texans selecting a RT in the 1st round, maybe in the 2nd but most likely in the 3rd. It's possible but doubtful. I just don't think they value the position that high.

That leaves only OLB or CB. I think OLB offers us the most immediate bang for our buck because of the ability to fix 2 positions with 1 pick by moving Reed to ILB. Filling OLB might also depend on the development of Willie Jefferson who looked so promising in TC. This also seems like a very good year for CB so we might be able to wait until the 2nd to find a future starter and immediate quality depth. CB is a position that I want a stud at so I'd like to get the best one we can even if he doesn't play as a rookie and it's currently at the top of my mock draft.

Other than QB, what's your reasoning for taking another position in the 1st?
Old 10-05-2013   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can have McCarron .... I'd much rather have Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd.

They wont be picking high enough for Bridgewater , Mariota or Hundley.

I don't at all disagree ... Just think he's a product of the system & talent around him at Bama. And to be quite honest , despite all that talent , that offense isn't very good. (That says a lot about the A&M defense sucking too now doesn't it ?!)
Thanks I will take him! Boyd will also be gone imo and I do like Murray who is shorter than AJ. McCarron is no more a systems QB than Murray. Both are very accurate passers who are good field generals.
Old 10-03-2013   #14
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113664 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
What if we went a different route and added Safety to that list of needs. How about Hasean Clinton-Dix-FS from Alabama? Ed Reed could easily be a one and done player for the Texans, Safety is definitely a need, if trying to save some money we could cut Manning (expecting a 1st round pick to start), and everything I've seen/heard/and read says that Clinton-Dix is an elite level Safety. I think he could vastly improve our secondary without waiting a year or 2 for a CB to adjust to the NFL. Worth considering in the 1st?
Ha-Ha Dix is a baller. There might be some red flags given the suspension as of late though.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
What if we went a different route and added Safety to that list of needs. How about Hasean Clinton-Dix-FS from Alabama? ...
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...67#post2221167
Old 10-03-2013   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

I heard that Clinton-Dix hired an agent already, it's a really dumb thing to do but at least he's not out killing folks or doing drugs.
Old 10-04-2013   #17
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

We really need a QB, but Kubiak is not going to move on from Schaub. That's his guy and he'll go down with him.

Since no QB, take BPA.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #18
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not sold on the fact that any of the QB's in this draft are "Franchise QB's."

Every one of them has their flaws ....
100% agree. There seem to be a bunch of solid QBs and no sure things. We have a QB that is on pace for over 4000 yards and 37 TDs with no INTs yet. Did I mention that is against NFL defenses - not college?

If Luck, Griffin, Stafford, Newton or Ryan were coming out then maybe. This draft's QB class reminds me of 2003 or maybe 2011 without Newton.
Old 11-11-2013   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
There seem to be a bunch of solid QBs and no sure things.
No such thing as a sure thing among rookie qb's. I used to think so and sam Bradford was the last qb I thought was a sure thing. Wrong.

Before case I thought it was absolutley imperative that we draft a qb. Now I wanna see more. One thing is sure, no qb is a sure thing without a solid ol and strong supporting cast. Gimme a legit coaching staff with a pedigree for qb grooming. Gimme a legit ol, THEN give me a young qb we throw to the wolves.

Trouble is, a new coaching staff will want to live and die by their own handpicked qb. The remainder of the season is likely just an audition for case elsewhere.
Old 11-11-2013   #20
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm not either, but will we suck bad enough next year to go for one on the 2015 guys? Can you wait, or do we strike when we can? Would you trade away our 2014 #1 for an extra 2015 #1 hoping to package them in 2015 draft? Can we be that long-sighted?
So you would have us take a QB in the first round that isn't a franchise QB just because we have a high pick?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read