Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Sideline View Film/Video Room

Lance Zierlein & company at The Sideline View are doing various forms of film breakdown on their site & on YouTube.

This is a catchall thread for those...

TSV Film Room - Texans Double Dual

Interesting to see how much is asked of our guards in the "double dual".
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #2
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Sideline View Film/Video Room

Thanks alot for the link!!! I'm a student of the game, so I love watching the video tape breakdowns.

This "double dual" seems a bit flawed? So basically Brooks has to handle two guys, while Wade has nothing to do, AND Schaub has to check to his hot receiver? I'd like to see an example of a good execution of this. It doesn't seem right that Schaub must quickly go to his hot receiver when they're only rushing 5?

A logical execution of this would be:
1) Once Wade sees 53 blitzing on the right side, he should help double-up on Myers' guy.
2) Brooks gets a better hit on 56, so that he can be easily be passed off to Myers
3) Then Brooks is able to push 53 out wider
4) Schaub then has the option to step up in the pocket towards his left to make a clean throw.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Thanks alot for the link!!! I'm a student of the game, so I love watching the video tape breakdowns.

This "double dual" seems a bit flawed? So basically Brooks has to handle two guys, while Wade has nothing to do, AND Schaub has to check to his hot receiver? I'd like to see an example of a good execution of this. It doesn't seem right that Schaub must quickly go to his hot receiver when they're only rushing 5?

A logical execution of this would be:
1) Once Wade sees 53 blitzing on the right side, he should help double-up on Myers' guy.
2) Brooks gets a better hit on 56, so that he can be easily be passed off to Myers
3) Then Brooks is able to push 53 out wider
4) Schaub then has the option to step up in the pocket towards his left to make a clean throw.
This is what I posted in another thread. I fully believe they made the attempt to do what you stated above. They just failed to finish. I may be wrong, but that's what my peepers saw
Old 09-18-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a basic read on pass pro that includes the dual read concept for O-lineman, especially the guard.

http://smartfootball.com/pass-protec...ass-protection

The QB just has to throw to the hot receiver; alas, it fell right into the Titans' trap. Schaub did not expect Pollard to leave the TE to jump the route.

It's another cat and mouse game, and they won that one.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #5
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Here's a basic read on pass pro that includes the dual read concept for O-lineman, especially the guard.

http://smartfootball.com/pass-protec...ass-protection

The QB just has to throw to the hot receiver; alas, it fell right into the Titans' trap. Schaub did not expect Pollard to leave the TE to jump the route.

It's another cat and mouse game, and they won that one.
From that link:

Quote:
In the 1980s and for much of the 1990s, however, it was common to also have linemen — typically the guard — also dual read, but the practice has significantly died out due to the difficulties presented as a result of the zone blitz and increased athleticism of defenders.
So are we using out-dated techniques?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
From that link:

So are we using out-dated techniques?
It's not like we're doing it all the time - far from that; and we're not the only team to do it either.

There are several protection schemes that we use.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #7
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking from a position of ignorance on what our OL is coached to do, but from a position of general knowledge I think the following:

I think with the movement pre-snap Myers should have checked and slid the protection to the strong side. The NT crosses face to engage Myer in order to establish the two-on-one against Brooks.

I think Myers should have passed the NT on to Wade who should have engaged the NT when he sees the pre-snap movement leaving him uncovered. This gives 1 on 1 across the board.

I only say this because the movement was clear pre-snap. If they executed this blitz post snap then I say we play it how we did on film as the additional steps needed from keeping it disguised would have provided plenty of time for Matt to get rid of the ball.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read