Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2013   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Thoughts About Defense

The defense did not play well last night and we all may say there are new players, or Ed Reed did not play. First game. All true. But, I wonder how much has to do with rule changes. Defense is not the same the NFL and the fans prefers scoring over defense. Quarterbacks are better off.
Old 09-10-2013   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 84930 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts About Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The defense did not play well last night and we all may say there are new players, or Ed Reed did not play. First game. All true. But, I wonder how much has to do with rule changes. Defense is not the same the NFL and the fans prefers scoring over defense. Quarterbacks are better off.
I think we looked rusty, and uninspired. We werent playing disiplined football on offense or defense, and i think the opening INT and quick score by the chargers threw us off. I'm not worried about the D, Antonio Smith will be back next and the pass rush will be much better !
Old 09-10-2013   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Our defense had a rough go for a half but still didn't give up a whole lot of yards. We played damn good defense the second half (if you can ignore the first drive).
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think missing Ninja had a lot to do with a lack of putting pressure on QB. The lack of pressure resulting giving enough time for opposition QB to complete pass which makes our DBs look bad.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I think we looked rusty, and uninspired. We werent playing disiplined football on offense or defense, and i think the opening INT and quick score by the chargers threw us off. I'm not worried about the D, Antonio Smith will be back next and the pass rush will be much better !
Overall defense has become harder to play.
Old 09-10-2013   #6
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 84930 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Overall defense has become harder to play.
Oh i agree with that, but overall in the past off season not that many nig rule changes were made to the defense, only major one i saw was with RBs using crown of his helmet.

My point is not that much has changed on defense in the last 2 seasons so we will still be fine.
Old 09-10-2013   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Oh i agree with that, but overall in the past off season not that many nig rule changes were made to the defense, only major one i saw was with RBs using crown of his helmet.

My point is not that much has changed on defense in the last 2 seasons so we will still be fine.
Agree, but Brady, Manning, and others have brought more offense to game more than before..
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2013   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the passing game is too advanced and the rules are too far slanted toward offense in the NFL to run a predominantly man scheme. If you do so, you are likely to get burned by QBs and receivers that's are on point. As long as we run this scheme, we will likely have games where we get lit up in the passing game. Effective blitzing and knocking balls down at the line of scrimmage is pretty much our only chance to stop it. I don't expect us to be all that great against the pass this year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

What rules are you saying changed this year which affected the Chargers game?
Old 09-10-2013   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those are valid points/factors and I would add that we missed Antonio too.
But
They woke up and buckled down when it counted
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #11
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 247 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected

We held their offense to around 10 yards in the second half, if I'm not mistaken.

That's not too bad. I guess. Yeah, they looked rusty in the first half, but I'm not worried about them. Once Antonio is back, and Ed Reed...we'll be fine. Our D, at least.

More worried about the offense play calling and Foster. Foster NEEDS to be back. NEEDS to be healthy. His ypc has been slipping and it's becoming noticeable. Now, a lot of isn't just him, but my point is that he needs to be healthy to be effective.

Luckily this was his first game back, so maybe this was just a "getting the feet wet" type of game for him.
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Unless they changed a few rules back to the old rules between the first half & the second... I don't think it was a rule change issue.

Our defense kicked their ass in the second half with the most current rules intact.
Old 09-11-2013   #13
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

I really can't agree with a single assessment thus far in this thread. I feel the stubbornness of Wade Phillips to Blitz every other down is what got us into this mess in the first place. Of the 49 times Rivers was sacked last year, 35 came when rushing 4 or less. The guy can't deal with defenses dropping 6 into coverage, and yet, we sent 5 or 6 every other play. In addition, sending Swearinger to safety blitz is taking Danieal Manning's greatest quality away from his skill set, playing near the LOS and blitzing. I understand Ed Reed being out directly affects that decision but we have to be able to generate pressure without the blitz.

Phillips didn't adjust until after the opening TD drive in the third quarter, had he done so after the first 15 minutes we'd be singing a much different tune.

While I think this game plan will be much more effective against Jake Locker with his completion percentage woes, Phillip Rivers isn't the QB to play that game plan against. He sees single coverage matchups too easily and was picking on McCain and Reed.
Old 09-11-2013   #14
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I really can't agree with a single assessment thus far in this thread. I feel the stubbornness of Wade Phillips to Blitz every other down is what got us into this mess in the first place. Of the 49 times Rivers was sacked last year, 35 came when rushing 4 or less. The guy can't deal with defenses dropping 6 into coverage, and yet, we sent 5 or 6 every other play. In addition, sending Swearinger to safety blitz is taking Danieal Manning's greatest quality away from his skill set, playing near the LOS and blitzing. I understand Ed Reed being out directly affects that decision but we have to be able to generate pressure without the blitz.

Phillips didn't adjust until after the opening TD drive in the third quarter, had he done so after the first 15 minutes we'd be singing a much different tune.

While I think this game plan will be much more effective against Jake Locker with his completion percentage woes, Phillip Rivers isn't the QB to play that game plan against. He sees single coverage matchups too easily and was picking on McCain and Reed.
This too! ^^^

Everyone on here is so quick to jump on Kubiak's stubbornness on offense, but I don't understand why Wade gets a free pass. Wade's frequently repeated blitz & man-coverage is equivalent to Kubiak's persistence to stick with the run.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
This too! ^^^

Everyone on here is so quick to jump on Kubiak's stubbornness on offense, but I don't understand why Wade gets a free pass. Wade's frequently repeated blitz & man-coverage is equivalent to Kubiak's persistence to stick with the run.
I personally don't get on Wade about being stubborn, is because I just don't see it. I don't think we played zone any more in the second half than we did in the first.

If the guys on the TV say we're playing man coverage doesn't necessarily make it so. It wasn't true in the Patriots game, it wasn't true in Monday night's game.

IMO, the biggest difference was who was playing what. Instead of playing Manning on the line & attacking the QB (like he did with 7:13 left in the first half) he put him on Antonio Gates in the second half.

Instead of Brian Cushing as the primary blitzer, like he was saying in the first half, he dropped Brian into coverage in the second half instead of Mays.

That one pass thrown past Brooks Reed for the TD..... I didn't see any other, could have been beat if Brooks had not let Matthews get into his route free. He should have put his hands on him, slowed him down.... that play wouldn't have happened, had nothing to do with the defensive play call.

As far as McCain getting beat in man coverage.... I said in another thread, that I've never seen Eddie Royal run so many routes so well. That is not his game. He was a second round bust, because he couldn't run anything but a go route. I would have expected him to hit us with a go route at some time during the game & I can't think of anyone other than Brice McCain who'd be fast enough to play him man-to-man. If I'd have known he was going to be running routes like that I'd have put the more physical Kareem on Royal, or Brandon Harris.
Old 09-11-2013   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I personally don't get on Wade about being stubborn, is because I just don't see it. I don't think we played zone any more in the second half than we did in the first.

If the guys on the TV say we're playing man coverage doesn't necessarily make it so. It wasn't true in the Patriots game, it wasn't true in Monday night's game.

IMO, the biggest difference was who was playing what. Instead of playing Manning on the line & attacking the QB (like he did with 7:13 left in the first half) he put him on Antonio Gates in the second half.

Instead of Brian Cushing as the primary blitzer, like he was saying in the first half, he dropped Brian into coverage in the second half instead of Mays.

That one pass thrown past Brooks Reed for the TD..... I didn't see any other, could have been beat if Brooks had not let Matthews get into his route free. He should have put his hands on him, slowed him down.... that play wouldn't have happened, had nothing to do with the defensive play call.

As far as McCain getting beat in man coverage.... I said in another thread, that I've never seen Eddie Royal run so many routes so well. That is not his game. He was a second round bust, because he couldn't run anything but a go route. I would have expected him to hit us with a go route at some time during the game & I can't think of anyone other than Brice McCain who'd be fast enough to play him man-to-man. If I'd have known he was going to be running routes like that I'd have put the more physical Kareem on Royal, or Brandon Harris.
There's so much fail in this post TK. From not running man coverage against the pats, to us not doing so in this game, to the Mathews TD not being an issue with the defensive play call, to Eddie Royal not being a good route runner, to Royal being a strictly go route guy. Huge fail all around.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 09-11-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2013   #17
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I stopped reading after your first statement because even Wade Phillips came out and said as much as we played a lot more zone in the second half. You obviously don't have a clear understanding of defense in professional football.
Old 09-11-2013   #18
CeeQue
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 CeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post

My thoughts exactly... we don't have the secondary to play man coverage against the above average QBs in the league. I'm still seeing our DBs and safeties playing chase with WRs and TEs on intermediate and deep routes vs. being in position to turn around and defend the pass.

Something has to change or we're going to be out of the playoffs early just like the last 2 years.
CeeQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeQue View Post
My thoughts exactly... we don't have the secondary to play man coverage against the above average QBs in the league. I'm still seeing our DBs and safeties playing chase with WRs and TEs on intermediate and deep routes vs. being in position to turn around and defend the pass.

Something has to change or we're going to be out of the playoffs early just like the last 2 years.
Nobody has the secondary to play man coverage 90% of the time. Even with 3 pro bowl corners, it's not going to work. That's the point. The scheme is a failure against good passing teams. Like I said, our only chance is to get to the quarterback extremely early, almost every passing play, or knock balls down at the LOS. That's also near impossible to do.
Old 09-11-2013   #20
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

My feelings during the first half were......, "Well, I guess preseason is a little more important than anyone seems to think." I do think they missed Antonio, but they were very lethargic & didn't seem ready to play the game. Thank God they woke up in the second half.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read