Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2013   #1
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub #10, NFL starting QB rankings 1-10

At least one person, John Clayton, thinks Schaub isn't that bad; ESPN LINK

Quote:
Analysis: The Texans are paying him $15.5 million a year, so they must think he's elite. Schaub may not be flashy, but he's good. And now that he's staying reasonably healthy, he is giving the Texans a shot at the playoffs every year. When he's right, he'll complete 64 to 69 percent of his passes. He has had three 4,000-plus-yard seasons in the past four years. He's doing something right.

Arrow is pointing: up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #2
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub #10, NFL starting QB rankings 1-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
That's about right. Only disagreement IMHO Elite QBs are making $20 million, so $15 million for #10 is where it should be. Also Schaub has shown in the past that he doesn't fare all that well against the $20 million a year QBs.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
That's about right. Only disagreement IMHO Elite QBs are making $20 million, so $15 million for #10 is where it should be. Also Schaub has shown in the past that he doesn't fare all that well against the $20 million a year QBs.
If Schaub belongs in the group, we got a great deal. All them guys just got paid in the last two years.... well, maybe not Ben & Eli, but they're still making more than Matt.
Old 09-05-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #5
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub will have a Flacco like chip on his shoulder this season and win the MVP!

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #6
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

#10 is about right. He's good, but not a game changer..
(won't be until he elevates the team with wins over
brady, brees, and rogers at least 50% of the time)

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #7
Sway
Veteran

Rep Power: 182 Sway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Schaub will have a Flacco like chip on his shoulder this season and win the MVP!

I SURE HOPE SO!!!

BUT:

BUT... Sure Schaub looks a little slow when one looks at his eyes, but I know there's more there. How else could he be in the NFL? ( fill in your favorite flakeout here) I think he may have attended a public speaking class in the off season - his poise and presence are much improved so good for him! That reflects better upon the entire team. GOOD!

Two seasons ago before we lost him, I remembered hearing on the radio that we were AFc's #1 ranked team ( I forget who we played, but it was a win) And that same day found out about the lisfranc injury. ugh.

Fast forward a year, we're off to a bad a$$ start 11- ? and what happens? No matter how he plays early season, I know I'll have those late season doubts creep into my head come November. How do you keep him motivated and focused? He says what he needs to in press conferences, but when it's him and the team in the huddle, or in the locker room at half time and we're not getting ti done, what is he saying? We always come back SO weak in the 3rd its predictable! Only certain personalities and individuals can fit a true leader on a football field (or hell, in life for that matter) and he has a long way to go before the league recognizes him as a leader (IMO). Personally, I think he oughta have a weekly contest between Yates n Keenum just to keep up. Would it be too much work? Would it be senseless? I dunno, I'll call my blonde woman lady card, but I love my Texans and as much as I've tried to stand by Schaub it seems I'm NEVER the one getting the last laugh and I"M TIRED OF IT! AND SO IS AJ i'm sure.
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2013   #8
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Ron Jaworski also rated Schaub #9 about a month ago. Most of my non-Texans-fan friends like Schaub. I seriously think it's mostly Texans fans that thinks he's overrated.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Ron Jaworski also rated Schaub #9 about a month ago. Most of my non-Texans-fan friends like Schaub. I seriously think it's mostly Texans fans that thinks he's overrated.
The reason non-Texans fans love Schaub is because they don't watch the team on a regular basis. It's easy to swoop in, look at raw statistics, and say, "Wow, this guy is good!" Or to see a legendary Schaub-to-Andre pass highlight on ESPN and be impressed.

My non-Texans fan friends feel the same way yours do. They think we have a great qb. They don't see the nitty gritty, play-by-play things we pay attention to. All they see are high numbers and statistics.

Schaub has the stats, but not the performance. It's that simple.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I seriously think it's mostly Texans fans that thinks he's overrated.
I don't know too many Texans fans that think he's overrated, but I know many who bristle at the harping that used to go on about Schaub being underrated, particularly after his 4700 yard season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Flacco has never thrown for over 3900 yards in a season. Schaub? 3 out of the last 4 seasons, he's thrown for over 4000 yards and every season Schaub has played a whole season for the Texans, he's thrown over 4000 yards.
Flacco has one stat over Schaub that we all want Schaub to have, and that's playoff wins. He has a bunch. I'm not a Flacco fan, and I actually hate when people ascribe wins and losses to the QB, but you have to admit that Flacco steps it up in the playoffs. If we can't have a team with an elite QB, then I want a complete team that at least has a QB that steps it up when it really counts. How many chances did the Texans have to win home field advantage last season? Three? More? They controlled their destiny throughout the last half of the season, and Schaub buckled under the pressure. Much of the rest of the team did as well, but we're talking QB here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Winner! Move the ball between the 20s and settle for FGs way too often, especially against good teams. The stats don't impress me any longer. I honestly believe Kubiak could take several of the QBs rated below Schaub in this list and have them putting up similar stats in a year or two.
Old 09-06-2013   #11
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't know too many Texans fans that think he's overrated, but I know many who bristle at the harping that used to go on about Schaub being underrated, particularly after his 4700 yard season.

Flacco has one stat over Schaub that we all want Schaub to have, and that's playoff wins. He has a bunch. I'm not a Flacco fan, and I actually hate when people ascribe wins and losses to the QB, but you have to admit that Flacco steps it up in the playoffs. If we can't have a team with an elite QB, then I want a complete team that at least has a QB that steps it up when it really counts. How many chances did the Texans have to win home field advantage last season? Three? More? They controlled their destiny throughout the last half of the season, and Schaub buckled under the pressure. Much of the rest of the team did as well, but we're talking QB here.
People forget that Flacco has had four previous years of playoff experience. AND was surrounded by pretty good talent - especially at RB - and backed up by a pretty good defense.

Let's look at Flacco's playoff history....
2008/09 - 2-1
@ Miami (W, 27-9) - 9-23 for 135 yds, 0 TDs, 0 Ints
@ Titans (W, 13-10) - 11-22 for 161 yds, 1 TD, 0 Ints
@ Steelers (L, 14-23) - 13-30 for 141, 0 TDs, 3 Ints
2009/10 - 1-1
@ Pats (W 33-14) - 4-10 for 34 yds, 0 TDs, 1 Int (they ran over the Pats for 220+ yds and 3 TDs)
@ Colts (L 3-20) - 20-35 for 189 yds, 0 TDs, 2 Ints
2010/11 - 1-1
@ Chiefs (W 30-7) - 25-34 for 265 yds, 2 TDs, 0 Ints (Flacco finally carries his weight)
@ Steelers (L 24-31) - 16-30 for 125 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int
2011/12 - 1-1
Vs Texans (W 20-17) - 14-27 for 176 yds, 2 TDs, 0 Ints (Yates throws 3 Ints and wastes a 150+ game from Foster and a 100 rcvg game from A.J.)
@ Pats (L 20-23) - 20-36 for 306 yds, 2 TDs, 1 Int (Finally has a decent playoff game and loses to Belichick)
2012/13 - 4-0
this is the only year I would say Flacco actually carried his team thru the playoffs - his fifth shot for a SB ring.
vs. Colts (W 24-9) - 12-23 for 282 yds, 2 TDs, 0 Ints
@ Broncos (W 38-35) - 18-34 for 334 yds, 3 TDs, 0 Ints
@ Pats (W 28-13) - 29-54 for 320 yds, 1 TD, 2 Ints
@ SF (W 34-31) - 22-33 for 287 yds, 3 TDs, 0 Ints

Let's see how he does this year with the heart and brains of that defense gone.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winner! Move the ball between the 20s and settle for FGs way too often, especially against good teams. The stats don't impress me any longer. I honestly believe Kubiak could take several of the QBs rated below Schaub in this list and have them putting up similar stats in a year or two.
I completely agree with this statement. However, he did see enough in Matt to burn two 2nd round picks on him. So yes, a lot of Schaub's success is because of Gary Kubiak... but Matt's not chopped liver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
People forget that Flacco has had four previous years of playoff experience. AND was surrounded by pretty good talent - especially at RB - and backed up by a pretty good defense.

Let's see how he does this year with the heart and brains of that defense gone.
We're running out of time Chavez!!

I think it should be clear to anyone who watched that game last night, the Flacco is no better than Matt Schaub, but the fact remains we need to see Matt nutt up in the play-offs & play as well as Flacco did. Great defense, great running game, but that QB has to step up.... your stats show us that much.
Old 09-06-2013   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not going to say it's the sole reason for redzone mediocrity, but we hardly ever throw the corner fade. Teams run it multiple times and one game. We run it a couple few times a year.

The play is almost unstoppable if thrown correctly.
Old 09-06-2013   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaubie has a better playoff win/lost percentage than Peyton manning, just saying.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58892 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not going to say it's the sole reason for redzone mediocrity, but we hardly ever throw the corner fade. Teams run it multiple times and one game. We run it a couple few times a year.

The play is almost unstoppable if thrown correctly.
This drives me crazy. With AJ that shoud be an automatic call.
Old 09-06-2013   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Someone else put the stats up but Flacco never stepped it up in the playoffs until last year. His team carried him to a lot of victories. Last night, he started to get that Deer Caught In Headlights look that I thought he'd overcome at the end of last season.

Schaub has had 1 opportunity to get into the playoffs and he didn't look great. Now... he's had the experience. Hopefully he's learned and grown from that and he can do better the next time.

That's why I've been saying that I don't believe Schaub has stopped improving. I don't think we've seen him at his ceiling and with the type of QB he is (more about accuracy and intelligence than arm-strength), he could continue to improve and play at a high level for several more years... like a Rich Gannon who had his best seasons when he was older than Schaub is now.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #17
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I just think it's funny seeing Flacco, Romo, & Ryan getting paid like Rodgers.

We got a steal on Schaub (in comparison) & our fans are still upset. smh.
This is my official stance as well. We don't have an elite QB, he's not going to single handedly win us games, but we do have great value at that position!!!
Old 09-05-2013   #18
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
The reason non-Texans fans love Schaub is because they don't watch the team on a regular basis. It's easy to swoop in, look at raw statistics, and say, "Wow, this guy is good!" Or to see a legendary Schaub-to-Andre pass highlight on ESPN and be impressed.

My non-Texans fan friends feel the same way yours do. They think we have a great qb. They don't see the nitty gritty, play-by-play things we pay attention to. All they see are high numbers and statistics.

The flip-side to that is possibly Texans fans' standards are way too high. If we don't win a SB, we need a scapegoat, and for some reason mostly everyone has picked Schaub.
Old 09-06-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
The flip-side to that is possibly Texans fans' standards are way too high. If we don't win a SB, we need a scapegoat, and for some reason mostly everyone has picked Schaub.
I think that's part of it. A big part of it. Right now, we look back & we say how poor the talent was on the pre-Kubiak team. But in 2005 we thought we had a play-off team.

Another reason is that we have a great many people who seems to focus only on the negative.
Old 09-07-2013   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our standards are too high? We've had the same head coach for, what, seven years now? And it's too much to expect a Super Bowl in seven years, when it really only takes about 5 to re-build a team?

Seven years and we shouldn't expect a Super Bowl?

Are you kidding?
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read