Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2013   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are the Texans better than last year version?

The O-line:

Myers didn't have his best year last year.
Will he get back to form?
Personally, I expect a better year from Myers than last.

Wade Smith had a poor to mediocre year.
Can he come back?
If not, is Ben Jones or Quiz at least play at the same poor-to-mediocre level?
I think it's a toss-up.

Duane Brown tailed off toward the end of the year after being dominant for the most part.
I think we can expect Brown to be more dominant.

Is BB an improvement over last year rotation at RG?
I'd like to think so.

Can Newton/Harris improve over last year?
A toss-up for me as well, depending on Newton's health.
If they are both at the same level of health, they still have the benefit of a year in the system.

Overall, I think this unit will be better, especially with the addition of Jones at FB. The versatility of Casey will be missed, only to be replaced with a stronger force in the lead block and the skills that Griffin has displayed so far.

Discuss.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 262799 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the Texans better than last year version?

Yes, easily.

I think our o-line is going to play better.

I think our WR corp is head and shoulders above last year's.

I think our kicking games are going to be better (both Bullock and Lechler).

I'm not totally sure about our defense but if we keep Cush healthy for the season, then we'll be better off. Our OLB situation worries me but I think we might improve over Barwin but I don't know for sure.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are the Texans better than last year version?
Yes.

Doesn't mean they'll go any further than they did last year, but yes, they are a better team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think so, but the 2011 team was better than last years, so then is this years team better than the 2011 team ? I dunno ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm still worried about Newton's knee. Still looks like he's got a bit of a hitch in his step, don't know if it's hurting/bothering his play, or if he just don't trust it yet.

I'm disappointed that Ben Jones doesn't appear to be any stronger than he was last year.

My personal opinion though, I expected the right side of the line to get better as the year went on & until Newton's injury, that's exactly what was happening. Wade on the left side.... it seemed as if he got less & less consistent. I thought he was our worse lineman last year, because there was no reason to believe he would get better.

I'd just as soon cut him, start Q... we should reasonably assume Quessenberry will get better as the year progresses. There's no reason to believe Wade Smith will.
Old 08-30-2013   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yes.

Doesn't mean they'll go any further than they did last year, but yes, they are a better team.
True true very true
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #7
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Are the Texans better than last year version?
No. But that's OK because they're still my team
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I do like the receiving options better. With LeStar & Martin pushed down to #3 & #4 WR instead of hoping they can become #2 & #2a. Actually, if Posey is "back" That pushes them to #4 & #5... even better.

RB wise, whatever was on BenTate's mind, I hope he got it cleared away & he's ready to play. I'm excited about Cierre Wood. I think he's going to push Tate for that #2 job & Tate is going to push Foster for the #1 job...... I bet we get two 1,000 yard rushers this year.
Old 08-30-2013   #9
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Wood has a good chance to replace Tate next year, & I don't see how the Texans will keep him at a higher contract, unless he has a monster season.
Old 08-30-2013   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think so. I think our WR corp has much more potential, but they are still unproven. Our O-line worries me, but our RB corp I think is better than last year. My biggest worries are on defense. Barwin and Quin still haven't been replaced and these are major holes in our defense. 2 very good vets. aren't easily replaced.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to question two units - the Lbers and the ST coverage units.

They let Barwin walk , its yet to be seen if Mercilus can fill the void. Huge question mark IMO.

On ST , they let Alan Ball walk , its possible they lose Braman , Carmichael & Dobbins .... those were the four best players on coverage units last season. When you consider how bad those units were , losing the top four has to be a huge concern.

WR I believe is improved as is TE - I believe the Rookie Griffin is a better TE than James Casey , even if not as versatile.

FB has improved by leaps and bounds.

I wonder about the secondary - J.Jo hasn't been himself , but it is preseason.
Can Swearinger fill the role Glover Quin played ?!
How much will Ed Reed contribute?!

Probably the biggest question mark on the entire team is the starting Right Guard .... Will Derrick Newton sideline Matt Schaub for the season ?!

This version of the Texans is definitely considered contenders , before a meaningful game is played but they do have questions that have to be answered favorably ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read