Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2013   #1
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Closing pre-season thoughts?

Texans look as ready for the regular season as they ever have. Yes, it's only pre-season in which most of it was played against the other guys 2s and 3s, but our 2s and 3s looked pretty good.

Just based on the pre-season alone, without yet seeing them in their first regular action, I like our chances to move deeper into the playoffs this year.

Overall group ratings

QB B
RB A-
Rec B+
TE B-
O-line C+

D-line B+
LB C+
DB B

Kickers A-
rest of special teams C (because we got good kickers)

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Closing pre-season thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Texans look as ready for the regular season as they ever have. Yes, it's only pre-season in which most of it was played against the other guys 2s and 3s, but our 2s and 3s looked pretty good.

Just based on the pre-season alone, without yet seeing them in their first regular action, I like our chances to move deeper into the playoffs this year.

Overall group ratings

QB B
RB A-
Rec B+
TE B-
O-line C+

D-line B+
LB C+
DB B

Kickers A-
rest of special teams C (because we got good kickers)
I would agree pretty much based off 2's & 3's. in summary depth is much improved. 5 premier starters then several question marks that could go either way. That's why they play the games!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think preseason confirmed what we already knew, but there were some very pleasant surprises.

QB A ... we have 3 guys who could start for many teams.
RB A ... foster, tate, and any of the UDFA's is quite a stable.
Rec B+ ... if posey and hopkins can stay healthy i think our receiving core is lightyears better than any other year.
TE A+ ... daniels, graham, and the kid all look great
O-line B+, D ... most of the line is solid and brooks has been outstanding. derrick newton is horrible, i dont even want him backing up RT.

D-line A+ ... big earl was a highlight, letting us breathe easier about nose tackle. mitchell along with ninja and watt gives us maybe the best front in football.
LB D+ ... i'm worried. cushing will need some time to be himself, and i dont see another ILB on the team. OLB is kind of a grey area for me, i dont know what we actually have yet.
DB B ... havent really seen everybody together yet, and havent had the whole front ahead of them, so again i'm not entirely sure what we have. swearinger was everything advertised though, so i'm excited about our safeties.

Kickers A ... bullock hits from 55 and is putting kickoffs out of the endzone, and lechler is still one of the best in the game.
rest of special teams D ... untimely penalties and drops are bad. lane assignment seems only slightly better than last year, and kick coverage is still weak.
Old 08-29-2013   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Keenum stepped it up, but Yates held him off, IMO. Keenum won a spot on the 53 without question, but Yates didn't do anything to lose his job. I think it's Yates #2.

Cierre Wood is a better #3 option than Justin Forsett, IMO. At least, he has more upside, I believe.

Ryan Griffin is better at this point than Graham was at that point, I think. I like what I see.

Lestar Jean is becoming a better WR, but he won't ever catch very well, I don't think. Maybe he needs to have someone throw bricks at ... err, to him.

Liked what I saw from Posey.
Old 08-30-2013   #5
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The team has never had this quality of depth, which is necessary to go the distance. Concerns at right tackle and all over the linebacker squad. But at wide receiver, we're stacked.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #6
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The team has never had this quality of depth, which is necessary to go the distance. Concerns at right tackle and all over the linebacker squad. But at wide receiver, we're stacked.
Never thought I'd see the day
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #7
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This season will be remembered as "The year of the undrafted free agent."
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2013   #8
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53040 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

My closing preseason thoughts?

Thank God. Let's get this show on the road.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #9
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts are, see ya'll in New York......
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Cierre Wood is a better #3 option than Justin Forsett, IMO. At least, he has more upside, I believe.
I think if Cierre Wood makes the 53, we won't hear about any injury whatsoever from Ben Tate. He'll be begging to go in the game with a separated shoulder ala Emmit Smith.
Old 08-30-2013   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Rookie OLB Trevardo Williams had 3.5 sacks. Only 3 players in league had more. Bryan Braman had 3 and Terrell McClain 2.5.

Randy Bullock had 12 touchbacks to tie for third in league

Rookie TE Ryan Griffin, a 4th round pick, ranked 2nd in league with 14 catches. He'll make team as third tight end.

Undrafted rookie Cierre Wood ran for 191 yards to rank 5th in league in preseason

Case Keenum led league with 482 yards passing in preseason.

With TJ Yates and Case Keenum playing so well Texans led league with 1,201 yards passing and 444.3 yards per game.

Texans were 4th in rushing, 4th in defense and 12th in pass defense in preseason.

For what it's worth: Texans led NFL in Offense, Passing Offense and Run Defense in preseason.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Rookie OLB Trevardo Williams had 3.5 sacks. Only 3 players in league had more. Bryan Braman had 3 and Terrell McClain 2.5.

Am I wrong? I don't believe Trevardo had a "whole bunch" of snaps. I think Braman had a bunch & 3 sacks for the number of snaps he had isn't very impressive, especially considering 2 of the three were more hustle than beating his opponent (all sacks are good & all, but...)

Terrell McClain also had a lot of snaps, but from his position, that's promising.
Old 08-30-2013   #13
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

QB: B+. For the first time in Texans history, we have real depth at the QB position (as opposed to 07'/08' Schaub vs Rosencopter "depth"). For back-up QB, Keenum has the arm and intangibles to succeed in the NFL and either at 2nd or 3rd string for 2013, he will be groomed to inherit this offense one day. TJ looks solid, in that veteran backup sort of way...which is likely all he will be here.

RB: B-. I wasn't too impressed with Johnson or Karim (why was Kubiak so high on this guy again?). Wood on the other hand is a beast in the making and belongs on the roster. Tate looks as I would expect, which is underpaid.

WR: A-. Between Hopkins and Posey, Schaub has everything he needs to get the job done. I know it's just preseason, but WR looks like a huge bullet dodged going into the regular season.

TE: A-. Solid, solid, solid. I doubt Casey will be missed much.

OL: C+. Left side, good. Right side, bad. Derek Newton needs something, like replaced as soon as possible...lest we see more of Keenum/Yates this season than we really wanted. Quessenberry is a pleasant surprise.

Defense:

DL: A+. Earl Mitchell came into the preseason hungry and showed that he can be very dangerous. It's almost funny to think that he used to back up Cody - huge improvement there. Add in the Ninja and Watt and our d-line is something to be feared this season.

LB: C+. I'm going to be optimistic and say that once the season gets started Cushing and Reed will shine and bring up the game of Mercilus and Sharpton in the process. (Sharpton right? Please tell me we don't plan on Mays starting opening day). If not, it could be a long year.

DB: D+. KJ was a bright spot, but I'm worried. JJo looks like he's half-assing while Harris, McCain, and Carmichael (to a lesser degree, granted) all look as they typically do: mediocre. CB is definitely the weak link in our defensive chain.

S: C+. Someone on here wrote that Swearinger was like a Bernard Pollard who actually had coverage value and I agree. With a mentor like Ed Reed on the sideline, this kid could be something special (as opposed to Keo, who is just 'special'). Speaking of Ed Reed, does something here smell vaguely of Ahman Green or is that just me?

Special Teams: B-.

K/P. Bullock and Lechler look great, as expected.

The rest: Thank god Lechler and Bullock look great.

Last edited by burro; 08-30-2013 at 11:46 AM.
burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #14
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just hoping our D Line can create enough havoc to mask our deficiencies behind them.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Closing pre-season thoughts?
My thought is one of gratitude...

Grateful for the optimism we can have for this upcoming season,

Grateful we had no major injuries this preseason,

Grateful we don't have an owner who makes himself more important than the team,

Grateful we're not scrambling to answer for & replace a multi-murder suspect player,

Grateful our front office kicks a$$ signing quality UDFAs,

Grateful we don't have big question marks behind Schaub,

Grateful we don't have a coach who puts his starting QB into a 4th quarter preseason game behind a 3rd & 4th string offensive line,

Grateful for son of Bum,

Grateful we get to cheer for the Defensive Player Of the Year who models character and integrity and charity every day in real life,

Grateful to share this journey with like-minded zealots.

So today is a pretty good day for this Texans fan.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Grateful we're not scrambling to answer for & replace a multi-murder suspect player,

Grateful we don't have a coach who puts his starting QB into a 4th quarter preseason game behind a 3rd & 4th string offensive line,

Grateful for son of Bum,

Grateful we get to cheer for the Defensive Player Of the Year who models character and integrity and charity every day in real life,

Well said Mr. Playoffs. Well said.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #17
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Grateful for son of Bum,

Excellent post; unfortunately, MSR.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #18
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd really want to hear a Marciano press conference. Tell us why the STs suck so much! Why does he think he still deserves to be here!
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read