Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

For those who don't venture into the Training Camp thread...

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Quote:
Wade Smith LG for #Texans got a knee scope per Kubiak.
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Quote:
Kubiak: As for Wade Smith, will know in 3-4 days where he is at. Had scope on knee this a.m.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
...Ben Jones is now starter.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

I'm shocked.

Old 08-13-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wish we could have some consistency on oline but it does allow others to get work. Hope to see Q get some additional work on left.
Old 08-13-2013   #4
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

We've been pretty healthy at O-Line for a couple of years now compared to most teams. I'm just glad it happened at this point in the season. Get it cleaned up and get ready to roll a month or so from now.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm shocked.

We were already specifically told that Wade had a "knee bone bruise," which in of itself is bad enough. Now he has undergone a scope, for whatever reason, which signifies that there was definitely additional damage present. The fact that bone bruises are commonly associated with damage to other adjacent knee structures is why I posted what I did on his injury originally.........none of these associated injuries plays well to a more favorable prognosis or quicker recovery.

Today, Dougherty reports that the Texans described Smith as having a "deep bone bruise."

The deeper the bone bruise signifies greater damage to the involved bone and greater likelihood of significant associated injuries.

[Original post over 1 week ago]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This is what I was concerned about with Brooks direct knee impact injury. A patella (knee cap) bone bruise can becoming a nagging injury leaving the player unable to participate due to lack of range of motion and often very intense pain. Furthermore, it is not unusual to be associated with damage to the adjacent bursae, fat, patellar ligament or the posterior cartilage surface of the patella. An accompanying small chip fracture or stress fracture of the patella is also not uncommon. Especially, even if a tiny stress fracture is present, if not addressed with an 8-10 week healing rehab period, there is long term concern that another blow to the knee could break the knee cap in two because of the quadriceps muscle pulling from above while the patella tendon pulling from below during flexion of the knee. This would require major surgery with at least a 3-4 month period prior to returning to play.

An MRI will have been already performed to diagnose the bone bruise. The Texans would know at this point if and how much collateral damage may exist. Patella bone bruises alone are bad enough in that depending on how severe, it could take months (up to a year in some cases) to completely heal, barring further trauma to the area. Rest and rehab of several weeks would not be out of order for even a modest bone bruise. However, as it stands now, if that is the case, I would guess that the Texans would push Wade to the limits of his pain threshold in order to get him back on the field as soon as possible. In doing so, it would not be surprising to see a significant performance drop off and/or setback.

In that the reports only say bone bruise of the "knee," this could also apply to bone bruise to the lower femur bone or upper tibia bone which are considered part of the knee. When bone bruises occur in load-bearing bones such as the tibia and femur, avoidance of weight-bearing for significant periods (depending on severity of the bruise) is extremely important to reduce the extension of the damage and significant prolongation of recovery.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Smith ✔ @Smitty74allday

My surgery went well. I appreciate everyone's calls, texts, thoughts, prayers, & well wishes 4 a speedy recovery. Be back before you know it
12:15 PM - 13 Aug 2013

From Battle Red Blog
Old 08-13-2013   #7
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

We've dodged injuries so far, but it was inevitable that we would eventually have to deal with a few. This sounds worse than they initially led us to believe.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2013   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

As bad as it may sound, I'd rather see Wade down than many other players. The Texans can survive this and still be dominant.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We were already specifically told that Wade had a "knee bone bruise," which in of itself is bad enough. Now he has undergone a scope, for whatever reason, which signifies that there was definitely additional damage present. The fact that bone bruises are commonly associated with damage to other adjacent knee structures is why I posted what I did on his injury originally.........none of these associated injuries plays well to a more favorable prognosis or quicker recovery.

Today, Dougherty reports that the Texans described Smith as having a "deep bone bruise."

The deeper the bone bruise signifies greater damage to the involved bone and greater likelihood of significant associated injuries.

[Original post over 1 week ago]
CnD,

I read the events and reports that they likely went into the knee to clean up torn cartilage and discovery to see what they fear: significant cartilage loss leading to something close to bone on bone, requiring the dreaded microfacture surgery... or constant pain and further deterioration... or retirement.

Correct me where I may be misguided.
Old 08-13-2013   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
CnD,

I read the events and reports that they likely went into the knee to clean up torn cartilage and discovery to see what they fear: significant cartilage loss leading to something close to bone on bone, requiring the dreaded microfacture surgery... or constant pain and further deterioration... or retirement.

Correct me where I may be misguided.
With a DEEP bone bruise, cartilage destruction is common, as are other tissue injuries. Virtually by definition, these players are destined to severe arthritis. But if the bones of the knee joint are involved as the bones of "deep bruise," acute damage to the cartilage may require removal of large fragments of cartilage, essentially denuding significant surface areas of apposing bones, in this case distal end of the femur to the proximal end of the tibia.............known as bone on bone. Separated cartilage fragments like these do not heal if attempts are made to "transplant" or "re-graft" them. So they are "cleaned up," i.e., removed. And, as much as has been made of micro-fracture surgery, it seldom solves any problems unless the denuded area is extremely small.........and then only temporarily. If he undergoes micro-fracture surgery for a limited area and it is considered successful, your would still not expect return to play for at least 6 months..........if ever.

I hope this answers your question.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
We were already specifically told that Wade had a "knee bone bruise," which in of itself is bad enough.
I've just adopted a rule of thumb when considering what the Texans medical staff reports. I just multiply the severity by 10. They're kind of like the Black Knight reporting a flesh wound.
Old 08-15-2013   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

So it would seem he is return is TBD with no foreseeable return in the immediate future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
So it would seem he is return is TBD with no foreseeable return in the immediate future?
Que Q & Ben Jones. Could be an upgrade. Wade was a little shaky last season.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Que Q & Ben Jones. Could be an upgrade. Wade was a little shaky last season.
Just like I said in the QB2 v PSQB thread; let the best man win. :tipshat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Could you explain why?
I've thought Wade Smith's play has been below par for some time now. I also liked what I saw from Ben Jones last year. I know he doesn't have the power & strength of Brooks, but I think he's more athletic & better at getting to the second level. He reminds me of Myers.

Brooks is a big strong guy. He's not built like Wade, but he plays the same. Put that hulk next to Brown & just mow'em down. Then pull Ben Jones around and surprise that LB or Safety coming around the edge.

I thought all along the plan was to move Brooks to RG when the season starts & let Ben Jones get a couple of reps at Center through camp. But when Wade got hurt & they left Brooks @ RG I figured that's where they want him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-16-2013   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Brooks is a big strong guy. He's not built like Wade, but he plays the same. Put that hulk next to Brown & just mow'em down. Then pull Ben Jones around and surprise that LB or Safety coming around the edge.
OK, so you believe the Texans have more of a left sided running attack, and Brooks would be better at the point of attack and Jones better at cutting off the back side.

I see your point.
Old 08-17-2013   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is that the Texans change things up all the time.
One year, they would favor running to the left side more; another year, they would run right more.
One year, they ran more inside zone; another year, outside zone.
One year, they ran pure ZB; another, they added the gap-scheme runs and counters, and pulling linemen.

So if they decide to put a guy at certain position for now, I imagine they have an idea what they want to do this year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So if they decide to put a guy at certain position for now, I imagine they have an idea what they want to do this year.
I'm sure they do. I'm just trying to figure out where there thinking is. Our best OL was with Winston, Brisiel, & a pretty good Wade Smith. Jones looks like a better Brisiel & Brooks a younger Wade.

Problem, in my mind now, is Newton is nothing like Winston in the run game.

Right now it looks to me that Kubiak & Dennison doesn't have any rathers & build there line & attack according to there strengths.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-17-2013   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm sure they do. I'm just trying to figure out where there thinking is. Our best OL was with Winston, Brisiel, & a pretty good Wade Smith. Jones looks like a better Brisiel & Brooks a younger Wade.

Problem, in my mind now, is Newton is nothing like Winston in the run game.
Jones has not reached the level of competence that Brisiel had. I agree with you on Newton. Brooks is TBD.
Old 08-17-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Jones has not reached the level of competence that Brisiel had. I agree with you on Newton. Brooks is TBD.
TBD for sure on both Brooks & Jones.

I'm thinking in time, Jones will surpass Brisiel & Brooks will be as good as Wade in Wade's best season here. I think Wade was a monster his first season here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read