Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-10-2013   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL pulls plug on customize face masks

Quote:
The National Football League is pulling the plug on elaborate, customized face masks that several prominent NFL defensive players had planned to wear this season.
In an email to the Associated Press, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said that the customized mask that Indianapolis Colts linebacker Robert Mathis had been wearing during training camp would not be approved for use during games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...235936743.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: NFL pulls plug on customize face masks

Shweww..... for a minute there I was worried about the integrity of the game.

Old 08-10-2013   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

So Justin tuck won't be able to wear his patented woven face mask either?

I liked those. I wonder if there's a safety reason for it?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

They are allowing them if you get a note from your doctor. Two players have already had them approved.
Old 08-10-2013   #5
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad to see this. Unless there is a functional reason for having such a mask, they need to stay with the standard options.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #6
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
I'm glad to see this. Unless there is a functional reason for having such a mask, they need to stay with the standard options.

Why would they need to stick to the standard?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard for me to think of a reason for this rule except the league may have a concern over the player playing with "blind spots" or opponents' fingers getting caught and twisted/broken in the small spaces, or in the case of visors, creating reflection into the opponents eyes. With that said, I'm starting more and more to warm up to the idea that face masks should be removed altogether. Have the players think twice before they engage their skulls and faces........without first engaging their brain.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's hard for me to think of a reason for this rule except the league may have a concern over the player playing with "blind spots" or opponents' fingers getting caught and twisted/broken in the small spaces, or in the case of visors, creating reflection into the opponents eyes. With that said, I'm starting more and more to warm up to the idea that face masks should be removed altogether. Have the players think twice before they engage their skulls and faces........without first engaging their brain.
Every time I look at those particular face masks I think that very thing. I instinctively retract my fingers to my hand...lol.
Old 08-12-2013   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If the goal is to reduce CTE, this would accomplish that goal.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #10
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

I showed up to work wearing ties for the last 15 yrs. I'm still waiting for that one rebel in the building to take off his and slam it to the floor yelling," I hate ties! Why do we have to wear them?"
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
I showed up to work wearing ties for the last 15 yrs. I'm still waiting for that one rebel in the building to take off his and slam it to the floor yelling," I hate ties! Why do we have to wear them?"
Well, I don't think any player has been that melodramatic about the facemask thing, have they? Either way, people do that with ties all the time. I did several years ago. I have a job now where I wear jeans and a t-shirt to work, and the only thing I sacrificed was the tie. Better career, better people, better job. Of course, the NFL has a monopoly, so they get to dictate.
Old 08-12-2013   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like the melodrama is all by the fans. This is a guat issue which doesn't make the NFL the evil empire nor the players prima donnas. There is a medical exception.

Last edited by infantrycak; 08-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brian Orakpo calls NFL’s ban on customized face masks ‘disheartening’

“It’s kind of tough. Obviously it’s different. And it does have a sort of look appeal to it. But it’s also for protection as well. We’re supposed to be all about protection and we get denied for something that benefits us. It’s something that’s kind of disheartening.”

Full article
Old 08-13-2013   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Evidently, the League has found that most of these custom masks are designed to make a player "stand out" or appear more "ominous." The ban of such masks seem to follow the trend of banning excessive celebration. It appears the NFL prefers the players to remain faceless numbers on jerseys. The medical exceptions such as with Canty and Justin will still be recognized.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider

Chris Canty on facemask: 'I invented it. We developed something that can keep hands out of my face, so it wouldn't detach my retina again.'
4:52 PM - 10 Aug 2013

Quote:
Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider

Chris Canty @ChrisCanty99 'I can't help it that other guys think it's cool and they want to wear it, too. It's a necessity for me.'
4:52 PM - 10 Aug 2013
Justin's reason was that opponents were grabbing his facemask and twisting it knowing that he had a neck issue.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read