Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2013   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans audibles.

Audibles always a question by fans and some media. So I asked Schaub/Myers about them yesterday. Tried to get them to explain it better to fans but they were reluctant not to share stuff that could give opponents an advantage.

If you could see their answers as oppose to just a transcript, you could see they think it is a dumb fan *issue*. Myers in particular thought I was trying to trick him with my question.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...talk-audibles/

The Texans had issues on offense last year. That Matt Schaub didn't have "enough authority" at the line I do not think is an issue.
Old 07-26-2013   #2
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans audibles.

So it appears that they're saying:

1) Matt doesn't have to audible as much, because he has built-in options post snap.

2) Instead of the conventional "audible," they communicate adjustments at the line in other ways that are subtle and hopefully unnoticeable.

Just a thought: I bet Sage Rosenfels and Vonta Leach taught their teams how to notice.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

1) Matt doesn't have to audible as much, because he has built-in options post snap.

2) Instead of the conventional "audible," they communicate adjustments at the line in other ways that are subtle and hopefully unnoticeable.

Just a thought: I bet Sage Rosenfels and Vonta Leach taught their teams how to notice.
Exactly.

Id like for kubiak to allow Matt to go completely off the grid occasionally if he sees something he thinks we can exploit.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Exactly.

Id like for kubiak to allow Matt to go completely off the grid occasionally if he sees something he thinks we can exploit.
You're assuming that doesn't ever happen.
How can you tell it doesn't?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You're assuming that doesn't ever happen.
How can you tell it doesn't?
Because Kubiak has said as much. Seth Payne, while not currently with the Texans has said the same thing. And if you actually read the quotes TC got, they are saying the same thing as well. Matt Schaub has been on the radio before and talked about their audibles. Kubiak has talked about their audibles. I am familiar with this scheme and have a ball park idea on their audible system. Rick Smith was on the radio the other day and he talked about "giving Matt more responsiblity" at the LOS or something like that...

I don't think you or a lot of people understand how their audibles work.
Old 07-26-2013   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Because Kubiak has said as much.

I don't think you or a lot of people understand how their audibles work.
From the little the (the Texans) will open up and say, our audibles are basically spins off the existing (planned) play. As an example, I think if the planned play is a wide run - say double TE, single RB formation - and Schaub sees nine in the box, he may audible to one of the TEs peel off (instead of sustaining) his block and find an open area for a 10-12 yd pass. He still goes thru with the run-like play but instead of handing off, keeps the ball and hits the open TE.

That change of play is subtle.

Now if you want Kubiak to take that same call (double TEs, single RB, run right) and audible to something like four wides (that "off the grid enough for ya?), meaning the two TEs pretend they're WRs, I doubt that's gonna happen.

I must admit - depending on which TEs are in the game - it might be interesting to see...
Old 07-26-2013   #7
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, I'm confused...

Quote:
You guys may not notice, but we audible a lot. You guys may not notice and talk about it all the time because you guys donít notice it. Itís one of the things that come with the territory. Itís a smooth transition for us with the zone blocking scheme and with the rollouts that we have that Mattís been able to run. We donít have to audible as much because we have the potential for other things to happen. Our audibles arenít the same as other teams, but we get it done just as much as they do.
So, which is it? Audible a LOT, or you don't have to do it as much due to your post-snap options?
Old 07-26-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't know that we need to add another dynamic to our offense... not like that. The whole point, I think, of wanting us to audible more is to not be caught in a situation running a play that has no chance of working, or to punk the other team & make them look bad.

But even the teams with QBs who flap their arms & gyrate eventually run into a play that "looks" like it had no chance to succeed & we punk everybody.

We like to give Kubiak the credit for getting our guys wide open, especially guys like Kevin Walter. Maybe that was one of those instances that Matt saw something, audibled & busted a big gain.
Old 07-26-2013   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know that we need to add another dynamic to our offense... not like that. The whole point, I think, of wanting us to audible more is to not be caught in a situation running a play that has no chance of working, or to punk the other team & make them look bad.

But even the teams with QBs who flap their arms & gyrate eventually run into a play that "looks" like it had no chance to succeed & we punk everybody.

We like to give Kubiak the credit for getting our guys wide open, especially guys like Kevin Walter. Maybe that was one of those instances that Matt saw something, audibled & busted a big gain.
TK, you sound like you are saying good enough is good enough.

Screw that.

Our goal should be set at being the best offense in the league and to be unstoppable by anyone. I don't care that we are "one of the best". Well I do care...and that is nice...But if you can do something that makes you even better, why not do it?

Why not be better than the best teams offensively? Why not have something that helps not have the offensive funks we found ourselves in at times last year?

I'm going to trust what Rick said about Matt having more on his plate this year. Even if he's not just going wild with audibles...I think a little more freedom to go off the grid would help him out.

As for that last part, I highly doubt it. If Matt was making those kinds of audibles you'd have teammates and coaches raving about how Matt is making these changes and making all these big plays happening. Plus that doesn't even jive with anything that's been said on the subject from the team.
Old 07-26-2013   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

Vonta's teachings didn't do much for em the second time around.
Old 07-26-2013   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
"He understands that. He knows that," Smith said. "And he does have to play better in those situations for us to take our team to the next level." Smith also expressed confidence in Schaub's overall play, saying he "has the ability to take on even more responsibilities." Schaub had the look of a player who peaked last season, so putting more on his plate might not be the Texans' best strategy.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/16/matt-schaub

I wish I could find the entire transcript, but our audibles are more subtle because they aren't as complex...

Rick smith did and interview and talked about Matt being allowed to do more this year.

I doubt they'd give much detail on their audibles, but you should ask them if Matt sees a mismatch that he wants to take advantage of if he will call audibles to completely change plays to do so.

Hopefully Matt will be allowed to do that some this year.
Old 07-26-2013   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

I found this interesting
...to me anyway...

Quote:
Myers: ďIím not going to explain how we handle audibling at the line, but nice try there. Thatís the way it works in the NFL. Some teams and some quarterbacks are given that opportunity because there teams offenses are based upon them going to the line and having six different plays possible then they just give the line and the rest of offense what they are going to do. In our scheme, Matt doesnít necessarily have to do that all the time. You guys may not notice, but we audible a lot. You guys may not notice and talk about it all the time because you guys donít notice it. Itís one of the things that come with the territory. Itís a smooth transition for us with the zone blocking scheme and with the rollouts that we have that Mattís been able to run. We donít have to audible as much because we have the potential for other things to happen. Our audibles arenít the same as other teams, but we get it done just as much as they do. Everyone talking about how they need to put more pressure on Matt and how he needs to take on more of the offense. Itís there, you guys just donít notice.Ē
Translation:
Look you goofball, just because Matt doesn't flap his arms like a large-forehead crane trying to take off or point at one defensive guy or the other like some school kid ratting out his classmates to avoid detention doesn't mean we don't call audibles. W
e're smoother than that.
And we like it that way.
Did it ever occur to you people that if you can't tell we've changed the play, then maybe, just maybe, the defense doesn't know we changed the play either. Which means, just possibly, they're setting up to try and stop the wrong thing. Yaay us!

...next question.
Old 07-26-2013   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Audibles always a question by fans and some media.
I'm sorry, I already put this in another thread. Good work, definitely something the fans want to know about though.
Old 07-26-2013   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Here's my take on audibles: When you have a QB as experienced as Schaub, at no point should he ever be required to run a play that he thinks is going to fail before he runs it. He's the one out there running the show, so if he feels like PLAY X gives them a better chance than PLAY Z VARIANT A, B, or C, then he should run PLAY X.

JMO.
Old 07-27-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Audibles always a question by fans and some media.

TC, I do appreciate you asking the question.

Do you think you can ask Andre, OD &/or maybe Kubiak what they think about under thrown balls? Does it make the ball easier to field? Do they prefer under thrown balls vs leading a receiver?

Things like that.
Old 07-29-2013   #16
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Audibles always a question by fans and some media. So I asked Schaub/Myers about them yesterday. Tried to get them to explain it better to fans but they were reluctant not to share stuff that could give opponents an advantage.

If you could see their answers as oppose to just a transcript, you could see they think it is a dumb fan *issue*. Myers in particular thought I was trying to trick him with my question.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...talk-audibles/

The Texans had issues on offense last year. That Matt Schaub didn't have "enough authority" at the line I do not think is an issue.
Err. Everyone knows Schaub is not allowed to audible. C'mon, Steph!
Old 07-29-2013   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Err. Everyone knows Schaub is not allowed to audible. C'mon, Steph!
I always thought Matt had the ability to change the play at the LOS. I do believe if a run plays is called say to the right he could change the play to a run to the left. But not to a pass play...

Oh well, everything is hunky dory, Super Bowl here we come. Johnny Football is gonna win a NC fur dem Aggies. He's a god. Unless he's out there partying with dem damned ole Longhorns. Or hanging out with the stars at the Laker games. He should be hangin out with us at the Dixie Chicken countin sheep, buildin bondfires/buildings etc...

I digress......
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I always thought Matt had the ability to change the play at the LOS. I do believe if a run plays is called say to the right he could change the play to a run to the left. But not to a pass play...
Despite every Texan assertion to the contrary.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read