Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2013   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...-qb-countdown/

Not sure what Jaws is looking at, but there it is for your discussion...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #2
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 25265 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB

Remember folks, this is about ranking not wanting. So let's not throw monkey's feces into the fan just yet. For me the only QB I would not want over Schaub are Sanchez and Ponder. But I have no problem where Jaws rank Schaub on the list.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Jaws has been smoking some good stuff. Stop hanging with Snoop man.

Seriously though he made an interesting case, but its hard to agree with him after seeing him those last 6 games. Hope he proves everyone wrong.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post

He pretty much laid it all out there. His words are true & hard to argue, imo..
Quote:
I like Schaub, maybe more than others. Did he struggle at times down the stretch? He did. But overall, hes a very solid quarterback whos shown the consistent ability to execute a well-structured and efficient offense. That puts him in my top 10.
Not saying that I would rank Schaub at 9 (I haven't looked at all the QBs in depth, but of the ones he's got ranked behind Schaub, there are only a couple I might put ahead of him. Schaub's only deficit, again imo, is that he doesn't "take over the game" when it's time for him to take over. Whether that's because he can't or won't I don't know. It's very hard to quantify & when we see these kids running around making plays out their butts we think that's it, but it's not....... it's close.

Most people probably won't agree with me, but so far, Luck is just a younger Tony Romo. In the next few years, we'll see which way he goes, he could be the next Tom Brady, or the next Tony Romo. 10 is way too high for Luck.

Henne is "much" better than Sanchez, Ponder, & Weeden.

RG3 & Wilson are the two I question being behind Schaub. Those guys...... high QB ratings, plenty of yards, keep the chains moving... good - great accuracy... the only thing Schaub has on them is years.

Kaepernick is another one, but I'd like to see him over a full season before I rank him above Schaub.. pretty close but he had less than half the attempts as the other guys.
Old 07-15-2013   #5
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I call Bull*******, yes you heard me Bull*******
Old 07-15-2013   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223599 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

meh....I think we all realize Schaub is a better than average QB. It's how MUCH better than average we argue over.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Schaub, I really do... That said, I would have him at around 12th/13th at best.

I generally like "Jaws'" takes, but let's remember he was an average (at best) QB himself. Yes, he lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl, but lost to Jim Plunkett and the Oakland Raiders.
Old 07-15-2013   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless a QB wins a championship within the past year or two, a fan's opinion of that QB's value or rank depends squarely on what he has done lately. In the offseason, fans will rely on the second half of the season and post-season for their evaluation.

But a sports analyst will more likely consider the big picture, which is why Jaws prefaces his evaluation of Schaub with: "My normal inclination is to look at a large body of work over a long period of time."

Big picture, it seems that Schaub has the potential to be championship worthy. But in latter 2012, he seemed indecisive and rattled. My conclusion is to take the big picture evaluation for now, because I believe he was not fully recovered in 2012 from the lisfranc injury. But if he does not come out early in 2013 and prove that he's over it, then the rattled, 2012 version of Schaub will be the final phase of his legacy in Houston.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I like Schaub, I really do... That said, I would have him at around 12th/13th at best.

I generally like "Jaws'" takes, but let's remember he was an average (at best) QB himself. Yes, he lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl, but lost to Jim Plunkett and the Oakland Raiders.
Haha Bill,

It was just a few days ago that you said...

Never mind.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #10
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

You can be average at doing something, but have the knowledge and insight to coach or analyze well. Plenty of average or even bad players have gone on to become very good coaches and anylists....though there are just as many who suck at both of those things too lol.

HOW DOES MERRILL HODGE STILL HAVE A JOB??
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He pretty much laid it all out there. His words are true & hard to argue, imo..

RG3 & Wilson are the two I question being behind Schaub. Those guys...... high QB ratings, plenty of yards, keep the chains moving... good - great accuracy... the only thing Schaub has on them is years.

Kaepernick is another one, but I'd like to see him over a full season before I rank him above Schaub.. pretty close but he had less than half the attempts as the other guys.
This is Jaws remember. He's still a big time proponent of old-school pocket passers. Schaub is definitely one of those.

AND, as he specifically said, it's also about the body of work. Year-in and year-out, Schaub has put up the numbers to be in the top ten.

But he's still got a ways to go before he cracks the top five.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Matt Schaub must excel at crunch time, QBs coach says

LINK

Quote:
The Houston Texans' season has ended at the hands of the AFC's Super Bowl representative in each of the past two seasons. If they are going to get over the hump this season, they need quarterback Matt Schaub to stand toe-to-toe with the likes of Tom Brady and Joe Flacco.

"We know that from our standpoint there was definitely stuff that we left on the table last year," quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell said via the Texans' official website Monday.
Quote:
He regressed in a major way down the stretch last season, tossing just four touchdowns in his last six games. By the time he was severely outplayed by Brady in the AFC Divisional Round blowout loss, Schaub was nothing more than a glorified game manager.

It's no coincidence that Dorrell cited Schaub's need for improvement in crunch time. The eight-year veteran has just 12 game-winning drives under his belt. To put that number in perspective, Andrew Luck led the Indianapolis Colts on seven game-winning drives as a rookie.
Old 07-16-2013   #13
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub must excel at crunch time, QBs coach says

I like the game winning drive stats vs Luck when they serve very little if any purpose
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post

Jaws played in the era where hitting the qb was legal and concussions weren't recognized.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #15
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I read a lot of the same stuff in these threads and it always ties back to misguided hate. A lot of you hate Schaub and want him removed, what's your solution?

Go get Alex Smith at the end of the season? I promise you Schaub is better.

Let TJ Yates run the show? LOL, I promise that dude sucks. When his rookie contract is up he will likely be out of the NFL if he can't find a team that keeps 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

Go draft RusWil in the 3rd? I promise a lot of teams have tried for years and haven't done it yet. And let's not give these rookies the Lombardi trophy just yet. I want to see how all of them do in their 2nd year (that includes RG3 and Luck). I've got a lot of money with friends riding on Seahawks missing playoffs.

Go use a 1st round pick on a QB when we have a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl? This leads to a lifetime of mediocrity not addressing key positions when it's time to strike.

Jaws knows football quarterbacks better than most. Jaws stood on top of his desk yelling about how Flacco could make "all the throws" and everyone else just laughed at him and called him an idiot. 1 Super Bowl MVP later people aren't laughing anymore.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I read a lot of the same stuff in these threads and it always ties back to misguided hate. A lot of you hate Schaub and want him removed, what's your solution?

Go get Alex Smith at the end of the season? I promise you Schaub is better.

Let TJ Yates run the show? LOL, I promise that dude sucks. When his rookie contract is up he will likely be out of the NFL if he can't find a team that keeps 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

Go draft RusWil in the 3rd? I promise a lot of teams have tried for years and haven't done it yet. And let's not give these rookies the Lombardi trophy just yet. I want to see how all of them do in their 2nd year (that includes RG3 and Luck). I've got a lot of money with friends riding on Seahawks missing playoffs.

Go use a 1st round pick on a QB when we have a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl? This leads to a lifetime of mediocrity not addressing key positions when it's time to strike.

Jaws knows football quarterbacks better than most. Jaws stood on top of his desk yelling about how Flacco could make "all the throws" and everyone else just laughed at him and called him an idiot. 1 Super Bowl MVP later people aren't laughing anymore.
You should change your user name to 'The Promisor'

Is Schaub a top 10 QB? Depends on who you ask

Can Schaub get us to the SB? Depends on who you ask

Does Schaub have a strong arm? Depends on who you ask

Is Schaub an "elite" QB? Depends on who you ask

See where I'm going here? Rankings = Everyone has theirs and they mean absolutely nothing to me except maybe a smidgeon of entertainment
Old 07-17-2013   #17
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

See where I'm going here? Rankings = Everyone has theirs and they mean absolutely nothing to me except maybe a smidgeon of entertainment
What are you doing here? What is the function of a message board? You can ask similar questions like the ones you just asked on every opinion based topic ever seen on a message board. Thanks for your input though.

I asked for solutions. You changed the direction of the argument in an attempt to mock me. Let's go back 2 posts.... What is your solution?

I think this year everyone will see that Schaub is truly the 9th ranked QB. It's not Schaub's fault Casey and Dre were dropping TDs down the stretch. It's not his fault that defenses had our number down the stretch last year (overload the left side of the line, force Foster to the right, double Andre and have a solid safety cover up OD).

Kevin Walter was absolutely worthless. Everyone talks about his game changing blocking, but the dude was rated below average by Pro Football Focus at blocking and couldn't separate from a wet paper sack let alone an NFL corner.

This is the year. A Schaub led Texan team that can avoid big injuries by our key players and we are AFC Championship game or bust IMO. #9 is about to take us to the dance, I'll bet on that.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Say that reminds me. Remember when San Diego was a perennial play-off team? You know, for a good while there they had no competition in the division. They had LT & Sproles, & Gates, & Merriman, & Wade, & Olshansky & they had a pretty good club.

Never got to the Super Bowl though. It was always one reason or another.

When I see the Schaub hate I think people are thinkinig about those Chargers. Where Phillip Rivers was good, but he wasn't good enough to overcome the mishaps or what not that an NFL team will encounter as they make a run for a Championship.

Looking back it's hard to argue. Rivers had all the stats, his team would win a game in the play offs.... but that was about it.

I get that that could very well be the case. I understand if you believe in your heart of hearts that is the case, then now is the time to find your QB of the future.

Personally I always felt that if you see a guy that you think has what it takes & you can get him without selling your future, go for it. Unless I've got Tom Brady or Peyton Manning I'm not too worried about hurting anyone's feelings (maybe I'd add Brees & Rodgers to that list as well).

But it doesn't upset me that Kubiak didn't feel that Kaepernick or Wilson was that guy, the guy to take that chance on.... It also wouldn't surprise me if he thinks Yates or Keenum is that guy.
Old 07-17-2013   #19
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

What does that have to do with any "promise" you bolded? He said Schaub is better than Alex, TJ or a 3rd round pick. As he asked, what is your solution?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The solution is to grab cheap guys and groom them until you find one that is better. Or wait until you are in position to draft one that you think is better. Or be aggressive and trade up for one.

Another possible solution would have been to let him walk and chase after Peyton Manning.

Hard to have any possible solution when you aren't actively exploring options.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read