Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 32 28.07%
No 82 71.93%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2013   #1
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Should the Redskins change their name?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ngton-redskins

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #2
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 52245 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
There is a team in Louisiana calling themselves the Ragin' Cajuns.

As a RCA I protest this denigration of my ancestry.

Not really..

Biggest bunch of nonsense ever.

JJ Watt born in Waukesha, Wisconsin. And people call him a Texan?

Wisconsinites should march on Washington and protest.

Old 06-13-2013   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 178129 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Over sensitive America ....

Too many people worried about what someone else does offending someone ... & the people it might be offensive to aren't the ones making a stink.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 278195 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

This has nothing to do with the past, and everything to do with political correctness as a means to exercising power.

WHY LEFT VICIOUSLY ATTACKS RGIII, BEN CARSON
'There's too much political correctness going on in our country'

Quote:
Borelli said the liberal culture fiercely condemns anyone who dares to challenge the ideology of the left, but she said there is special venom reserved for conservative blacks who dare to speak their minds.

ďItís all about control. The people on the left are unable to control peopleís words and their actions. When you have someone like RGIII or someone like Dr. Benjamin Carson, even myself, who was vocal about liberty and people being independent and not relying on the government for example, thatís a problem for those on the left who want to control the message,Ē said Borelli, who noted that the liberal fear of independent thought is especially evident in the hostility aimed at Dr. Carson. She said his life is the embodiment of what is great about America, but his personal ideology makes him a target of scorn from the left instead.

Borelli said the intensity of the criticism aimed at black conservatives comes with a very clear message to all blacks from the liberal establishment.

ďThat is to set an example for others to not do the same thing, for anyone else to not be vocal about what they really think. Unfortunately, that works. Itís something that is very effective, making people an example of something and no one else is going to step up and challenge the so-called status quo,Ē Borelli said.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes and changed the name of that stupid team in Florida with my picture on the helmet. signed Flipper
Old 06-13-2013   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

So who is going to admit to voting "yes" on this?

I'm with the others who've posted so far, this PC crap can kiss my ass.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted yes just for the entertainment factor.

Would love for the skins to announce they are changing their name just to see all the hoopla around it...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2013   #8
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74497 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

I voted yes. Always found the name in poor taste. Just me. Strongly expect to be in a massive minority here.

I don't feel strongly on the subject, I don't have a dog in the fight like Yvette.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 210087 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

I voted yes.
Whutsittiya?

Sorry if what used to be considered common, everyday courtesy and good manners now upsets folks because the right has decided to left-ti-fy it by calling it "political correctness".
from Wiki...
Quote:
By the early 1990s, the term was adopted by US conservatives as a pejorative term for all manner of attempts to promote multiculturalism and identity politics, particularly, attempts to introduce new terms that sought to leave behind discriminatory baggage ostensibly attached to older ones, and conversely, to try to make older ones taboo
You folks that get upset by the term and/or idea of political correctness have been (and are being) royally PLAYED by the Right.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 06-23-2014 at 07:43 PM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #10
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 23211 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm Native American. Call me a skin to my face and its on.
Old 06-13-2013   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
How something is said makes a great deal of difference.
Old 06-16-2013   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 210087 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How something is said makes a great deal of difference.
Not for some words.
There's political correctness and there's being just plain mean. And I figure that what you were referring to when you said it depends on how you say it. If one is educated enough to know the origin of certain terms and the hate and hurt associated with their origins and original meanings, why would ever do that?
Some call it political correctness, I just see it as good manners.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #13
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See. Last time this thread arose I mentioned that this and was told I was being "hyper-sensitive" or overly "political correct." I was told by some that "no one is offended".
Sorry, If someone called a team the NewJersey N:gg3rs I'd be offended.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #14
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
See. Last time this thread arose I mentioned that this and was told I was being "hyper-sensitive" or overly "political correct." I was told by some that "no one is offended".
I think it's more likely they'll be called NewJersey Mobsters...
Old 10-09-2013   #15
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I think it's more likely they'll be called NewJersey Mobsters...
No no...the "New Jersey Association of Legitimate Businessmen"
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 10-09-2013   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 311961 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
But...but...what if the intention was to honor black Americans?
Old 10-09-2013   #17
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
But...but...what if the intention was to honor black Americans?
I'm getting the mental pic of a mascot with big red lips and an afro...
Old 05-22-2014   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/22/wa...nge/?eref=sihp

Quote:
Redskins name controversy: 50 senators sign letter to Roger Goodell urging name change
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Better than that. I'm a native TEXAN!

As such, I demand the return of sovereignty from the US who forced a reunion by force of arms.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Better than that. I'm a native TEXAN!

As such, I demand the return of sovereignty from the US who forced a reunion by force of arms.
What in the world does that have to do with Yvette's comment or this topic in general?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read