Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 05-30-2013   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Early 2014 Mock Drafts

I figure most of you mockers have been thinking about the 2014 draft (as I have), so here is a thread for everyone to put their early 2014 mocks. I guess we could put them in separate threads, but these early mocks almost never lead to a ton of discussion, as they are more players to watch/identifying potential needs of the team, and thus it seems like a better idea to just throw them all in together.

I am working on a mock that I hope to have done today or tomorrow, but I am curious to see how it stacks up against your mocks!

Oh, one last thing (and I can't believe that I have to say this so often)- ***If you are not interested in the thread topic, then please don't participate. We know it is really freaking early and that boards will change dramatically. We know that we are not experts. We know that we we say here has absolutely zero impact on what the Texans will do. But let us have our fun. Don't be a d-bag.*** Thanks.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts

1. QB David Fales San Jose St
2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
3. OLB Chaz Sutton S. Carolina (the other Clowney?)
4. DE/DT Taylor Hart Oregon
5. S Jacques Washington

Imagine after watching other teams such as Texas and Alabama this will change.
Old 05-30-2013   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
1. QB David Fales San Jose St
2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
3. OLB Chaz Sutton S. Carolina (the other Clowney?)
4. DE/DT Taylor Hart Oregon
5. S Jacques Washington

Imagine after watching other teams such as Texas and Alabama this will change.
You like Fales in the first? I have him in the second right now, but agree that he could rise with another good season.

Huge fan of Jackson.

Sutton... I dont know a lot about him. I will make a note to keep an eye on him.

I like Hart as well, but only as a DE. I dont think he would be as effective playing NT. Definitely a player to watch.

I know nothing about Washington, but do we really need another safety?
Old 05-30-2013   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

@rmartin65, I'm glad you started this thread. I've been thinking the same thing since the draft. Thanks.

1. Loucheiz Purifoy-CB Florida, fills a need since JJo will get very expensive very soon and we only have him for 2 more years.
2. C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE Iowa, I'm thinking OD might be gone after next season.
3. Kelcey Quarles-DE S. Carolina, could easily go higher than the 3rd and Antonio Smith is a FA after next season.
4. Bruce Gaston-DT, Mitchell is a FA after next season as well and we don't have much of anything behind him.

I see positional needs at CB, TE, DE, DT, WR, and S.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
@rmartin65, I'm glad you started this thread. I've been thinking the same thing since the draft. Thanks.

1. Loucheiz Purifoy-CB Florida, fills a need since JJo will get very expensive very soon and we only have him for 2 more years.
3. Kelcey Quarles-DE S. Carolina, could easily go higher than the 3rd and Antonio Smith is a FA after next season.
4. Bruce Gaston-DT, Mitchell is a FA after next season as well and we don't have much of anything behind him.

All reports from OTAs that Carmichael and Harris looking good and should be their break out season. Hopefully the only CB we would draft would be to switch to safety. Big fan of Fiedo and 3 Amigos chewed him up and spit him out leaving no stone unturned during our mock discussions. More of a OL type you can put next to the OT to supersize than an OD type. If we go TE and we definitely might, I see an OD type that is more of a big WR that can block.
Old 05-31-2013   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

1) Like BB, I don't think CB is a need. Maybe things will change, but I have confidence in JJo and KJax, with Harris, Carmichael and McCain backing them up. I dont have a problem looking for a home run later in the draft, but I dont think spending a first is a good idea.

2) Love CJ! Excellent choice, IMO.

3&4) I dont know much about these guys, but I like upgrading the DL. I think NT is a must draft, as I dont think Mitchell will show us that he is a starting-caliber player. I might pick up the DE a little later though, as we do have Crick waiting in the wings, and Smith might be signed to a new deal soon.
Old 05-31-2013   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
1) Like BB, I don't think CB is a need. Maybe things will change, but I have confidence in JJo and KJax, with Harris, Carmichael and McCain backing them up. I dont have a problem looking for a home run later in the draft, but I dont think spending a first is a good idea.

2) Love CJ! Excellent choice, IMO.

3&4) I dont know much about these guys, but I like upgrading the DL. I think NT is a must draft, as I dont think Mitchell will show us that he is a starting-caliber player. I might pick up the DE a little later though, as we do have Crick waiting in the wings, and Smith might be signed to a new deal soon.

I disagree on the need at CB, but that's what this forum is all about. JJo is already the 2nd highest paid player in 2013 and only gets more expensive each year. His 2013 cap hit is 11.25 mil., and with Cushing a FA at the end of this season, a possible extension to Antonio, Earl Mitchell will also be a FA, and the team has to be thinking about and structuring the team for Watts next contract. Also I don't trust Kubiaks praise for players this time of year, we all know he pumps alot of sunshine this time of year.

If Antonio Smith does get extended then it would obviously affect our need at DE, but again a rookie is alot cheaper than a veteran and theirs a monster contract looming on the horizon (Watt) that this team has to start preparing for. I see our biggest needs in next years draft as being DE, CB, DT, WR depth, ILB depth, and S depth. I think next years draft will be very heavy on defense.

@BB, I like Andrew Jackson-ILB the player but I don't think he fits our 3-4 scheme. He looks to me like a 4-3 MLB stuffing the run, not a 3-4 ILB that quite often drops into pass coverage of TE's and RB's. Also with the NFL becoming more and more of a passing league each year, I think that old fashioned run stuffing ILB/MLB is becoming a thing of the past. The game is a changing.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2013   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
You like Fales in the first? I have him in the second right now, but agree that he could rise with another good season.

Huge fan of Jackson.

Sutton... I dont know a lot about him. I will make a note to keep an eye on him.

I like Hart as well, but only as a DE. I dont think he would be as effective playing NT. Definitely a player to watch.

I know nothing about Washington, but do we really need another safety?
Actually have Fales rated top third but if he has a 2103 similar to 2011 he will be a bullet. Rob Rang has him going #23 Derek Carr # 29http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/big-board

Yeah buddy we need another safety for 2014. Grr! to replace Reed and draft pick in '14 to train one season behind Manning to replace him in 2015.

Edit: just noticed your mention of Hart. Agree with DE, to replace Smith if roster guys cannot. I do not see him as a NT either.
Old 05-30-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I figure most of you mockers have been thinking about the 2014 draft (as I have), so here is a thread for everyone to put their early 2014 mocks. I guess we could put them in separate threads, but these early mocks almost never lead to a ton of discussion, as they are more players to watch/identifying potential needs of the team, and thus it seems like a better idea to just throw them all in together.

I am working on a mock that I hope to have done today or tomorrow, but I am curious to see how it stacks up against your mocks!

Oh, one last thing (and I can't believe that I have to say this so often)- ***If you are not interested in the thread topic, then please don't participate. We know it is really freaking early and that boards will change dramatically. We know that we are not experts. We know that we we say here has absolutely zero impact on what the Texans will do. But let us have our fun. Don't be a d-bag.*** Thanks.
You don't have to worry.
I don't recall ever seeing TB in this part of the wood.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read