Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-25-2013   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Secret Superstar: Kareem Jackson

LINK

Quote:
When you are a first-round pick, all eyes in the media are on you which make it hard to be a secret. Kareem Jackson was drafted in 2010 and in two years slowly faded into the background while free agent pickups Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning became the stars of Houstonís secondary.

In his case the third year was the charm, as he starred in a secondary that, as a unit, didnít live up to expectations. While some fans may have given up on Jackson and prematurely given him the bust tag, the Texans stuck with him and his third year was his best. Houston has some great young players on their defense, and after you see why he is the Texans Secret Superstar, youíll know why Jackson is one of the up and coming defensive stars.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #2
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Secret Superstar: Kareem Jackson

Wait.... I'm confused... I thought he was the Texans' "weak link" as mentioned in the article discussed in another thread?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Wait.... I'm confused... I thought he was the Texans' "weak link" as mentioned in the article discussed in another thread?
LOL...I'll take PFF's word over TBR any day of the week.
Old 05-25-2013   #4
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
LOL...I'll take PFF's word over TBR any day of the week.
It was clear the other guy didn't watch any Texans games last year. Probably just heard about their secondary problems and KJ struggling in the two years before that.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

But, but...... Bleacher Report() said Kareem is a weakness???

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100168

Quote:
Future All-Star Defense

The Texans have hit on recent first round draft picks with Brian Cushing, Jackson, and J.J. Watt. The jury is still out on Whitney Mercilus, and they have also used three recent second round picks on defense. The few positions that arenít filled with a young up and coming player are filled with known veterans. This defense looks like it can be one of the best not only this year, but years to come if they can develop their young players correctly. Jackson is one of the big pieces of the puzzle.

He is just another reminder that you shouldnít be too quick to judge young players. With enough time to develop, they could still become a superstar even if they have a slow start.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #6
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kareem continues to improve, expect JJoe to be moved or cut
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
We'll have to wait & see how the contracts play out. If either of them are interested in getting the biggest contract possible, that guy will be moving on. While Bob ain't cheap, we're not going to overpay for anyone..... including JjWatt.

Don't get me wrong, if Kj & Jjo continue to play well, they'll deserve to get paid. Like I said, Bob will be more than willing to pay, but I doubt we'll make either of them the highest paid CB in the league, warranted or no.

We'll also have to develop another starting corner.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 05-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2013   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We'll have to wait & see how the contracts play out. If either of them are interested in getting the biggest contract possible, that guy will be moving on. While Bob & cheap, we're not going to overpay for anyone..... including JjWatt.

Don't get me wrong, if Kj & Jjo continue to play well, they'll deserve to get paid. Like I said, Bob will be more than willing to pay, but I doubt we'll make either of them the highest paid CB in the league, warranted or no.

I don't see JJ going anywhere at all for the next 6 years or so. McNair and Smithiak have been pretty prudent on who they spend money on but they do pay the ones they feel deserve it. Even if they have to restructure their deals every year or two.

I see KJ getting retained over JJo, though. Much younger in football years and should be ready to be a #1 CB by that time with maybe Harris or Carmichael ready to be a #2.
Old 05-25-2013   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see JJ going anywhere at all for the next 6 years or so. McNair and Smithiak have been pretty prudent on who they spend money on but they do pay the ones they feel deserve it. Even if they have to restructure their deals every year or two.
Mario got $100M, by the time JjWatt comes up there will be teams willing to give him $150M. He'll definitely have earned a big payday, but nothing like that. I don't think Jj will be looking for it though, so that will be the difference.

Quote:
I see KJ getting retained over JJo, though. Much younger in football years and should be ready to be a #1 CB by that time with maybe Harris or Carmichael ready to be a #2.
We'll see. Jjo may not be asking for anything more than what he's worth. The stars may align & RickSmith's valuation may match Jjo's & we'll keep both.

Y'know, the only thing better than winning a SuperBowl is winning two.
Old 05-25-2013   #10
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We'll have to wait & see how the contracts play out. If either of them are interested in getting the biggest contract possible, that guy will be moving on. While Bob ain't cheap, we're not going to overpay for anyone..... including JjWatt.

JJ Watt isn't going anywhere. Possibly the best defensive player for the next 10 years.

He can ask for a blank check if he wants and that's exactly what he'll get.

JJ Watt said in an interview (Before his DPOY award) that he has higher goals than just DPOY. He's looking for MVP of the league. (And obviously a Super Bowl ring)

You don't set your goals that high unless you realistically plan on reaching them. If a defensive player can actually win the MVP award then he's just that good and completely deserving of any amount of money that he wants. Keeping him is going to be an obstacle.

As far as JJo and KJax, you saw JJo get burnt more and more often as opposed to KJax who improved EVEN more after each game. If they are saving money for JJ Watt then they might need to let JJo go at some point IF (and only if) it can save them money.

Last edited by AngryNateFTW; 05-26-2013 at 12:07 AM.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
You don't set your goals that high unless you realistically plan on reaching them. If a defensive player can actually win the MVP award then he's just that good and completely deserving of any amount of money that he wants. Keeping him is going to be an obstacle.
Funny thing about goals.
Old 05-26-2013   #12
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
As far as JJo and KJax, you saw JJo get burnt more and more often as opposed to KJax who improved EVEN more after each game. If they are saving money for JJ Watt then they might need to let JJo go at some point IF (and only if) it can save them money.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

While it's not difficult to argue that KJ had the better season in '12 I think we can all agree that JJo was dealing with injuries much like he had during his stint in Cincy. When healthy, he's the player that made many of us want to send Aso a "thank you" card for stringing Rick Smith along until Rick quit playing and pulled the trigger on JJo and DMann.

It sounds like he's healthy again at OTAs from the comment Kubes or it might have been TC made last week saying JJo (paraphrasing) was making it tough on Matt, AJ and DeAndre effectively shutting them down when they came to his part of the field. Here's what Steph had to say in her blog on Friday, the 24th.

Quote:
Jonathan Joseph looked back-pocket sharp in his coverage. Which is what fans expect of him but after his injuries of last season, it is nice to see.
Not the exact quote I was looking for but gets the point across, I think.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 05-26-2013 at 11:43 AM.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #13
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

JJ Watt is going nowhere. Ever. We will keep him, and we will sell Reliant Stadium to China if we have to in order to afford it.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
JJ Watt is going nowhere. Ever. We will keep him, and we will sell Reliant Stadium to China if we have to in order to afford it.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

But it unless selling Reliant to China can give us some salary cap relief, I don't think it's going to help us any.
Old 05-25-2013   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His salary cap is flat over the next three seasons. Why get rid of him in his prime?
Old 05-25-2013   #16
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
His salary cap is flat over the next three seasons. Why get rid of him in his prime?
I thought it would help since the cap situation wont be good for another few years
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

A lot of us on this forum are happily eating crow right now and I hope it's justified. KJ has had one good year out of three but has consistently shown signs of improving and year three is the normal time to start really judging draft picks. I hope year 4 is an improvement over year 3.

Old 05-27-2013   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Joseph's guarantee has been met but if cut after 2013 cap hit is about $7.5 m

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-t...nathan-joseph/
Old 05-27-2013   #19
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Uh, no.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

But it unless selling Reliant to China can give us some salary cap relief, I don't think it's going to help us any.
Cute. My point is, Bob McNair will get rid of every single player on this roster if it means keeping JJ.

We don't have to worry about losing JJ; we DO have to worry about losing players we like in order to keep him. It's inevitable.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read