View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008   #146
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY's Mommy: "He's hurting inside and out."

Congratulations on getting through everything. Like I said earlier, I too was not content to remain on medication, and while I have everything "in check" Im definiately not in the place you have made it to.

One thing I've noticed over the past few months in discussing things with you is that you seem to have a distaste for the medical/pharmaceutical industries in the US.

I just wanted to point out that not all research is being done for profit. As a scientist myself, I can attest to the fact that many of us are in it for pure reasons. I work in academia, so the profit incentive isn't really there.

The reason pharmaceutical companies push their drugs so hard is because it is so expensive to get through the testing phases here in the US. They may make a bunch of money when a drug is successful, but they have to do that in order to comopensate for the other drugs that are still expensive to develop but never see the shelves. Its not a perfect system, but it does result in the US having the most advanced drug development with the most safety precautions in the world

The sad thing is, if a member of academia were to discover something really amazing. A potentially life saving cure to something like cancer, they would have to patent it just to get the money upfront to take it through testing. With the government constantly pulling the purse strings tighter when it comes to life sciences, and without donations from private institutions, money has to come from somewhere. And people don't lend money without expecting to get more back eventually