View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008   #145
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY's Mommy: "He's hurting inside and out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Because anxiety or depression is not a disease, you can't really "cure it" All you can do is treat the symptoms, and so yes, you are right in that the majority of people who go on anti-anxiety or anti-depression medicines do so for the forseeable future.

The problem with treating the root cause of anxiety or depression (fixing the underlying issues) is that its not always possible. Psycho-therapy, as you've described, is very time consuming, not to mention expensive. And receiving mental counseling is not 100% effective either. It takes a special kind of eprson, especially someone who is very receptive, to really benefit from that. And as there are many psychiatrists and doctors who just want to push medication, there are an equal number of poorly trained psychologists who want to force their strange textbook theories onto you.

The end result, if done correctly, is absolutely better in that it "cures" the problem rather than treats it, however I still think that the medications provide a much needed alternative for those unable or unwilling

As for the dangers of taking anti-depressents, this is something you are dead right on. Unfortunately, they can have differing effects on some people. Its often difficult to distinguish whether it was the drug or the person, but this is a well-known side effect that physicians should fully educate their patients and their friends and family to. As with all drugs, side effects are always a possibility. The decision between the benefits of the drug and the risks of the side effect should always be an important restriction
I agree with you in some ways here. You're right it's not a disease, it's a condition. However it's a condition that can be eliminated if cure is not the right word to use.

Unfortunately you are right that counseling is not always effective because most counselors have no clue how to accurately treat the problem (I learned that the hard way) and the other issue is a lot of people aren't willing to go through the process. I was more than willing because I was in living hell and didn't want medications regulating my feelings for the rest of my life. My mom has been living that life for as long as I can remember and it is not for me.

Counseling can be expensive however I was fortunate. I worked with those Anxiety Centre counselors out of Canada and it cost me around $50 a session (less than half of what most locally were charging). I worked with them roughly every week for the first few months and then backed it down to fewer sessions. The whole process was less than a year and now I have a lifetime of not having to deal with this ever again. Those guys saved my life, there is NO question about that and I will always promote them when this subject comes up.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote