View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008   #142
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY's Mommy: "He's hurting inside and out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I always wondered if the medicine was like sugar pills (for say), where it was an imaginary "crutch" to help someone get over their thought patterns
They do trials, and in order for a drug to be approved by the FDA, it has to prove significantly more effective than placebo. Sometimes these results are a little questionable, because with a large enough population, "significance" is sometimes not very significant. However, with the majority of the SSRIs, the results were pretty real.

Quote:
a few years ago I took effexor, but it made me restless so I quit taking it.and about a year ago I took paxil and actually talked to a therapist also this time , but what he recommended was some relaxation books and work on going out doing stuff... I remember after a few visits, he said," I don't see anything wrong with you, you seem normal and relaxed." but I have my moments.

Certain situations, my mind kicks into sensory overload and I analyze things to death
I am the same way. I appear normal to the majority of people, but I way overanalyze, and when I get into a paniced state of mind, I basically become incapacitated (if only for a short while). If I wasn't forced to speak in public so often, it would be much easier. But when you are giving a lecture to other scientists, or even worse, to undergrads, panicking and leaving is not usually a good thing