View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008   #140
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY's Mommy: "He's hurting inside and out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post

For his sake hopefully he won't go the medication route if anxiety & depression are truly his issue. Those meds are dangerous, only prolong and often worsen the problem.

OK, I am off my therapist chair.
Here is where I do disagree with you. I've read the papers. I know the clinical results, and I know that treating depression and anxiety with medication works. I also know that the creators of the drugs aren't 100% sure how it works, only that it does. I've also taken the drugs. I didn't like the side effects, so I stopped. I've been on anti-anxiety medication and I've been without. I can tell you that they worked for me. It could have been placebo, but I don't think it was. Im prone to panic attacks, and while on the SSRIs, I was lucky enough to avoid having any. Since being off, I haven't been so lucky.

I won't disagree with the fact that negative thinking and anxiety breed more of the same. I don't know if my "chemical imbalance" is somehow a cognitive based state or if its genetic. But I do know that by messing with my chemical balance, my symptoms improved.

I think a big deal with all this accountability. People don't like to hear that bad things are their fault. Its much easier for a person to accept a genetic cause than a self-inflicted cause. As a result, genetic theories often get accepted much faster