View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008   #87
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans QB Vince Young In Crotches After Knee Injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
the biggest problem in all this, is the titans coaching staff trying to make Vince something he's not. Seriously he's never been a drop back QB that kills you with his arm. They gave him so much more freedom his rookie year, and in turn the offense was better and he was a lot more fun to watch. They hardly ever even run plays that

A.) Get Vince outside the pocket
B.) Allow Vince to use his legs to move the chains

it wasn't freedom in the since "here do what you need to do to win" but more of fisher understanding that he has a young qb struggling to learn an offense & giving him the leeway to basically make plays the best he could. McNabb, Young & Rothlisberger all basically came in the league doing the same things. Unlike vince though, they eventually caught on to what you have to do to be successful as a qb in the NFL; learn to pass the ball...consistently down field. Plus the league just hadn't figured out how to scheme him yet.

I'm tired of hearing the "running QBs get injured" excuse, because I think it's a load of crap. Most QBs that get injured, are ones who sit in the pocket and get smacked around. For every "running" QB that gets injured I can name you 5 prototypical QBs that get hurt.......................give him some freedom fisher.

That only holds b/c the ratio of pocket passers to scrambling qb's is like 123232 to 1. Plus the best way to counteract getting hit is to get the ball out on time, fast & accurately (manning & brady anyone?) He hasn't been able to do that consistently for whatever reason. Running around with 250 - 290 LB's & d-linemen as fast as you isn't going to do anything but get him killed..... & killed faster in the long run.

He was able to get away with it at UT b/c he & his team were that much more athletically gifted than his counterparts. In the league...not so much. Mack Brown ultimately hurt him by letting "vince be vince" b/c he didn't continue to develop his mental game as a qb, & we've all heard the saying "the game is 90% mental & 10% physical". That's never more true than with the qb position.

As far as his attitude is concerned, he needs to work on it. If you make a mistake, you have to live with it and move on. He means too much to the titans to sit and piss and moan on the bench.

I've said this for so long to many of my UT friends, but he was never destined to be a good qb, all but 2 major plays he made while at UT were him running the ball.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote