View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008   #49
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61599 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans QB Vince Young In Crotches After Knee Injury

Kuharsky took Young to the woodshed in his column. I think it's fair to say he's not a homer like ESPN's biggest blogger. He basically says Vince is acting like an infant and that Fisher is making the msitake of treating his star QB like an adult.

Quote:
But in a broader sense, the issue is Young's ability to work his way through situations where he is upset -- with himself, with his coach, with his team, and yes, even with booing fans.

As a rookie, Young held it against Fisher when the coach stuck to the team rules and had a team flight to Philadelphia leave without the quarterback when he was late for the flight.

He misplaced the anger from that situation, declining to admit he was, in fact, at fault.

And today, somehow, the bad interception to rookie defensive lineman Derrick Harvey and the cascading boos that followed it, those seemed like someone else's fault too.

Give Young credit, he's got an amazing ability to externalize. His mentor and predecessor as Titans quarterback, Steve McNair, took the blame for everything. (Unfortunately, their tenure with the Titans did not overlap.) Young is completely the opposite, and rarely, without major prodding, utters "my bad."

The Titans' way is to build a cocoon around their guy. They believe they must always have his back all the way, never revealing so much as slight doubt publicly. The system worked well with McNair because he was so incredibly hard on himself. But when the quarterback carries himself as Young has -- without even a small dose of self-criticism, with a constant defensive tone, or, like today, without a comment at all -- it's not such an attractive package.

Fisher insisted there is nothing controversial here at all.

But just saying so doesn't make it so. Only so much can be swept under the rug until a speed bump forms. Imagine another player declining to go back on the field after a bad series.

Young has accountability issues that are overdue to be resolved. And to this point the Titans' delicate handling of him sure doesn't look like it's helping him sort things out.
Seriously if I were Vince I don't know that i could show my face on the streets of Nashville right now. The best thing he could probably do would be to just sleep in Fisher's office and eat delivery -- maybe he'll learn through osmosis.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote