View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008   #24
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: I Love me some FAGGINS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Actually...

I am very much aware that he probably, maybe, signed off on the signing...

I just think it's hilarious when a guy is brought in and he works out "Rick Smith is a genious", but when they grab a guy that doesn't work out "Richard Smith needs to do a better job building the roster"....
It's a question of expectations. When Rick Smith brings in guys like Earl Cochran and Anthony Maddox, and they contribute in any meaningful way, then that's a great job. Not much was expected from those guys, and there probably wasn't as much of a round table style discussion going on - certainly not to the extent that you have when you commit millions to a free agent. When the no-name guys come in and fail, they quietly get cut and shown the door. Rick Smith can get away with a lot more of those. When Jacques Reeves fails, Rick Smith will catch his share of the blame as well, and he won't get away with very many of those before he pays with his job. However, the main part of his job in that arena is to find guys that fit the Texans' system. He gets that feedback from the coaches, one of whom is Richard Smith.

The question that fans are trying to figure out is, "How much of this is talent, because we know there's a deficiency there, and how much is Smith?"

Every defense in the NFL has its ordinary and subpar guys. D-coordinators have to scheme for those guys and overcome. Do you really think Smith is doing the best possible job with the limited talent he has?