View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008   #150
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I'd agree with you, GP, except that they had Sherman as OC, who couldn't have been very cheap, and they've brought in another former head coach, Ray Rhodes whose salary is probably not minimal, as well as Joe Gibbs. I don't understand the loyalty to Richard Smith (other than the name similarity to the GM) but I don't think it's tight-fistedness.
See, I thought about Sherman, too.

He was only "stopping by" until a HC gig opened up. He needed a break, a year or so of separation until something opened up. I don't think his contract broke the bank. Does anybody have figures on Sherman's contract? I bet it's hard to get ahold of the lesser-recognized coaches salary numbers, though.

It was more or less an "I'll help you, you help me" arrangement with Kubiak-Sherman, IMO.

I think Ray Rhodes was brought in to eventually replace Richard Smith, maybe as soon as this coming off-season. And, it would make sense for McNair (ever the penny pincher) to structure Rhodes' deal so that his salary is low NOW but escalates somehow...the "hook" for Rhodes to come here was not his salary NOW, but rather the tease from Kubiak and McNair that the DC gig is probably headed Rhodes' way in the near future.

Alex Gibbs, IMO, would best fit under the category of "Big" salary. He was coaxed into coming here, and I bet the deal was sweetened with a nice salary figure. Kubiak has this offense running pretty well, and the addition of ZBS guru Alex Gibbs was probably at the top of his list--No more "sucking" at running the ball, in Kubiak's mind. I think Gibbs would be the only really big contract outside of Kubiak's contract. Just me thinking out loud, which is dangerous and sometimes comical.

This defense is going to finish the same way it has finished every year under Richard Smith: Middle-of-the-road, at best, and maybe less than that by the time the year's done. We've had two years, and I have seen enough. I even think DeMeco is getting tired of it. His body language and pep is a lot different than it was in year 1. I have been watching DeMeco pretty closely, and he regularly has that hands-on-the-hips, pissed off look on his face about three series into each game. He has that same sort of dissatisfied look that D-Rob had when Carr was around. DeMeco is aggressive, and he's playing for a DC who isn't. And it's eating him alive, IMO. I don't like what Richard Smith is doing, and I don't think the key players on our defense do, either.

We need a Buddy Ryan-infused style of d-coordinator...a guy who puts out hits on opposing teams' players, sends the house regularly, and forces offenses to be more timid.

What we have now, is a defense that is always on its heels and consistently relishing the bend-but-don't-break philosophy. That's absolute hogwash in the NFL. Hogwash.