View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008   #146
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'm just struggling with the perception that our D-coordinator is the worst ever.

If he is, the blame should be on Kubiak for bringing him in and then keeping him for this long.

If they find someone who they feel is a definite upgrade I say go for it.
Bash me for this if you desire, but...

The fault is with Bob McNair. He is the one who pays for coaches, and there's no "cap" for coaches salary. Therefore, McNair went cheap by purchasing a guy nobody else in the NFL was interested in.

You really think Kubiak thought Richard Smith was THE guy for the job? Who the hell did we have to outbid to land Richard Smith? A car lot?

LOL.

Kubiak got stuck with David Carr, and he got stuck with a low-budget d-coordinator because he couldn't pay for a big time guy out there.

I mean, come on GUYS!!!! Richard Smith is THE best guy Kubiak identified and wanted as his d-coordinator? Pffttt....

I'll say it again: "Thank you, Bob, for bringing football back to Houston. But, and it's a very big BUT...we need a home run hitter calling the plays and providing the day-to-day, game-to-game strategy. Please."

I just don't think, at the end of the day, our owner is solidly behind the concept of paying BIG bucks to BIGTIME coaches. He prolly splurged on Kubiak, and yet has a strict ceiling on the other coaches.

I just cannot see Kubiak sitting there licking his chops over the idea that he actually landed such a big time playa' in Richard Smith as d-coordinator. It was probably more of a thing where Kubiak sighed and said, "Well, I can maybe make this work. Just gotta' hold it together and then make my push for a real d-coordinator a few seasons down the road." Kubiak drank Bob's Kool Aid on David Carr, and I bet he chugged down some more of it...just biding his time for the day he could tell Bob that he NEEDS certain things if he's going to stick around. Just can't see Kubiak actually lying to himself and making himself believe that our d-coordinator was, at the time, the only option on the board. I mean, let's get real for a second.

If there isn't a cap on salaries for coaches, then Bob could have bought out any friggin' person he wanted to buy out, to become our d-coordinator.

Hate Jerry Jones all you want, but dadGUM the guy will spend the jack to do whatever he thinks is the best chance to win. I like McNair, but I think he's overly tight with the finances--There's a reason why we're one of the most profitable franchises yet we haven't even made it to the playoffs.

The LA Clippers are ran in a similar fashion: They are profitable, have a good fan base, and yet don't get over the top in terms of producing significant OUTCOMES....such as playoff appearances, playoff wins, stuff like that. Stuff a fan wants to see.

But gosh dern it, we're so nice and respectable! We got THAT going for us...

(BTW, I am seen as a bastard for having this line of reasoning...and I just am not going to change my mind on it. I love a lot of what McNair has done for us, but this is a huuuuuge blunder to have the DC that we have today. And I think it's more on the owner than on the coach. It's on the guy writing the checks, IMO).

Last edited by GP; 08-26-2008 at 10:42 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote