View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008   #28
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Weaver, Greenwood, Reeves....

This is the problem I was talking about. At every level on defense we have someone you should be able to pick on. How do you make up for the defficiency. I will tell you one thing, I think our team speed on defense is lacking all the way around. I am in favor of starting Molden sooner rather than later. At least when he makes a mistake he's fast enough to try and recover. At the LB level, I would run to whichever side Greenwood is on. Every time. It wouldn't be an audible, the playcall would be, run to their "Greenwood, on 3, ready, break!". With Weaver, I'm not sure. Last year I thought he was good against the run, but that hasn't helped us this year as he looks like all of the talk about sacks has gotten to him because he is losing contaion a lot more it looks like. The one hole you didn't mention was at DT. The fact that we don't have someone who is just a monster up there is a problem. Okoye, I fear, will never be that guy. That's ok because he will be the guy who slips (as much as a man of his stature can slip by someone) by his guy and gets penetration but you need that cog. That guy to keep blockers off Demeco and force the middle of the OL into the running back/QB's face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Lastly, a good coach or scheme can hide players' deficiencies to some degree - I don't think a master defensive coach could hide Weaver's in his current state and in this scheme. Nice guy, bad fit.

I know its not supposed to be a Smith debate, and again I'm not saying I'm a fan of his, but with four GLARNING deficiencies on his defense, how do you cover that up? These aren't like a guy has a weakness or two - these are serious deficiencies. Usually when you're able to hide a defficiency of someone, they have strengths that you play to. Several of the players outlined in the origional post seem to lack any real strength. At this point, I'm willing to sacrifice "talent/experience" for speed because we look far too slow on too many occasions. At least if we did that we might get a guy close to the QB when we blitz.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote