View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008   #113
Polo

Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Different defenses have different philosophies. You know what Tampa or the Colts defense is supposed to look like. Or the Eagles. Or the Panthers. Or the Titans. Or the Patriots. Or any number of team's defenses. They draft players to suit their defenses.
Those teams have had their defenses in place for years. Any team making a transition into a completely new defensive system is going to normally take a few years to draft guys consistent with their system.

3yrs into those teams' systems I doubt they looked much like they look today..

Quote:
And that should make me feel comfortable that he can build a defense from scratch why?
Why should it make me feel uncomfortable ?

Quote:
Also from the Pro Football Prospectus: "Although the Texans ranked 23rd in Adjusted Sack Rate [in 2007], they ranked 30th in quarterback hurries per pass."

Ew.
I'm sure that had nothing to do with the athletes we had on that side of the ball....

Quote:
The best thing that an offensive minded head coach can do is the find an awesome defensive coordinator and let him loose. I have little reason to believe that Smith is an awesome defensive coordinator.
I'm not saying he's awesome either.

I don't think we need an awesome D-coordinator to win games though.

Quote:
* Our receiving group is Andre Johnson and a bunch of guys that no other teams really wanted. Andre Davis almost didn't make the team last year. Kevin Walter hardly got any playing time his first year. Jacoby Jones was the guy that everybody said we picked too high. David Anderson was on the nobody was likely going to draft him list. Those are guys that Kubiak figured would work for his offense, but nobody was beating down the doors to get those guys before we put them in our system. Last year's story was gee, why don't the Texans have a real #2 receiver? After AJ went down and there was only the Dayne train, people were stunned the Texans could still move the ball some.

* As for our quarterbacks, I think there is some promise there, but both of them were backups before they started working with Kubiak.

* Running backs--no one would want any of our running backs with the exception of Slaton. The offense seeks to make the running backs, ala Ron Dayne, better than they are.

* There's plenty of promise on the offensive line, but it's not like those guys are unearthly more athletic than any other line in the league, ala Pace in his prime. I think they are a well-coached unit, but not amazingly talented.

* Overall, I think the offense is well coached, and Kubiak has assembled players who play well in his system. I think a player like an Owen Daniels is succeeding for the Texans when he might not have been developed as well in some other team.

This is when it just comes down to opinions....

I think that some guys have definitely flourished because of our system and the opprotunities they've had, but I have a hard time believing that our same set of recievers couldn't be productive with the Saints, Colts, Pats, Eagles, Rams, Bengals, Broncos, or almost any team with a respectable QB....

Quote:
Yeah, the coaching on the offensive side of the ball is better than on the defensive side of the ball. That is something that can be fixed.
It is something that can be fixed. It's also something that doesn't necessarily need to be.

Quote:
Some of those guys are athletic and talented, and some of those guys are just good fits for the system we run.
Tomato Tomahto.

Quote:
There are players who have stunk whilst playing for the Texans, but played much better when they got into real defensive systems.
Rattle them off...

How many defensive players has Richard Smith worked with in the three years he's been a Texan that have gone on to "play much better" in different schemes ?

Quote:
You get a defensive system you believe in, and coaches that believe in it, and you get the players who can excel in that system, and you put them in situations to succeed.
Sounds good....

Quote:
Just because you have an offensive minded head coach, doesn't mean that the defense is going to get short shrift. In fact, the Texans have gone out of their way to spend high draft picks on that side of the ball.
And up until last yr. Demeco was the only one doing anything...

Why can Demeco and Mario make plays in this confusing system, but no one else can ?

Why can Amobi come into this philosophy-less system and get 5.5 sacks his rookie yr ?

Quote:
So you want to have a defense designed to stop them. Getting taller corners I understand is part of that.
And we've done that...

Quote:
I'm not sure what their philosophy is up front other than gee, Mario is going to get double, tripled team, maybe the other guys can do something.
Probably has something to do with the awkward elephant in the room known as Anthony Weaver...

Quote:
Does he want smallish DTs? I don't know. Before Okam, all the guys were mostly at 285-305. If he wanted a free agent body bigger than that, I think he could get it. Okam was drafted to give some weight to the front four. I don't know if this is a plan, or he was just BPA. Who knows what their plan is on defense.
This is speculation. Who knows what Smith has asked for...Who knows what Rick Smith has been able to provide...

I just don't see how he can have so much weight on his shoulders for the make-up of the roster....

Quote:
The Colts have a very defined defensive philosophy that is much more than smallish defensive linemen. And they draft to suit that philosophy. I wonder if a Bob Sanders could succeed with our defense--I don't know.
I think he could.

The Colts defense only has a philosophy because they've had some success...

When the Colts were getting run over and through no one knew what ther philosphy was...

Then they go out and get some better players and all of a sudden their defense has a "very defined philosphy"...

That philosphy is courtesy of Bob Sanders.

Quote:
Or putting Petey Faggins on an island REPEATEDLY when Faggins had already been TD torched in the Bills game.

To blitz or not to blitz...

Blitz and get burned...He's a hated man...

Don't blitz and get burned...He's a hated man...

Quote:
How long are you willing to see wretched defensive play before you want to see what a defensive coordinator with a track record of success could do with it? I'm not sure who that guy would be, but McNair is willing to spend some coin.

If that guy is out there...go get him....

Who said I wouldn't be down for an upgrade ?

Last edited by Polo; 08-25-2008 at 06:19 PM.