View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008   #101
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Kubiak hasn't said "we need to be more creative with what we're doing on defense"...

Instead of saying things like "We as coaches have to put them in better situations to be successful" or, "I think we gotta find different ways to get after the passer" he says "We're going to keep searchin for which guys are going to get the job done" and "we don't want to blitz a whole lot".
You make some good points. I think inevitably, Kubiak is the one who has to bear the burden of defense's failures. If he wants the defense to be more aggressive, or to play certain personnel, all he has to do is tell the defensive coaches. Kubiak has to define what he wants to see from the defense.

When we as fans say we want to fire Richard Smith, what we really want is the defense to play better. It's easier to fire the coach than the players. And no one wants Kubiak canned, the team has improved every season he's been here. I have to assume that Kubiak has ownership over the defensive philosophy and personnel. If he isn't able to communicate that with Richard Smith, or if he doesn't believe Smith can implement Kubiak's ideas, then Smith should be let go. Until then, the onus should be on Kubiak.