View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008   #98
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I would say that the team wasn't well coached if we were getting a lot of defensive penalties and generally lacked composure.

I don't see that.

What I see is a bunch of athletes who aren't as talented as the guys they line up against. I think that has a lot to do with the pass rush looking mechanical and the DB's looking confused.

It's not really hard to look at the defense and tell who's not doing their job...It's not hard to tell who's blowing assignments...It's not hard to tell who just isn't physically up to par...

So all this talk of him not fielding a real defensive scheme is confusing to me...

It's plain as day who's getting beat on defense and most of the time we can tell why they're getting beat...

Defense is supposed to "look" a little chaotic....It's supposed to be "organized chaos"...It's just that our guys aren't making plays so it doesn't have that "organized" feel...

OK. What is the Texans defense SUPPOSED to look like? You can't look to Smith's history to tell because he has never been a solo coordinator before coming here. When he first came to the team, the description of the defense was an aggresive 4-3. Football Outsiders analyzed the defensive snaps between 2006 and 2007 and said this:

"In 2006, the Texans were one of the top 10 teams sending six or more pass rushers; last year, they fell to 22nd."

Kubiak says he wants to have a good pass rush using four up front, but is that Smith's philosophy? Or is that just survival given how bad the payoff has been with their blitzes.

With the exception of Andre Johnson, the Texans do not have the most talented guys on the offensive side of the ball. The coaching on that side of the ball is so good and they know what sorts of players they want, that they have put together a very promising offense. You can see that evolution, how good the coaching is.

Statistically, that offense went from one of the worst in the league to one of the better ones, even with significant injuries to key players. I want to see that sort of progress for the defense.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Texans defense was ranked by football outsiders this way:

2005: 32nd
2006: 31st
2007: 30th

They face two very physical offensive teams in the Jags and the Titans twice a year, and a smart team in the Manning Colts that can get rid of the ball quickly and not allow much of a pass rush.

So facing those teams SIX times a year, we are putting together a smallish light quick defense up front with marginal safeties and inexperience everywhere in the defensive backfield? How is Smith's defense going to out-physical, out-smart these offenses?