View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008   #96
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
How much influence does Richard Smith have on who is brought in for his defense ?

I mean...He's not a scout or a talent evaluator..

I figure he has some say, but I'd think a brunt of that load would be on the Head coach and GM ?

Honest question.
This is what I know based on speaking to one of the current coaches and hopefully I didn't misinterpret any of it.

Draft: The draft guys evaluate the players. Then the offensive coaches and the defensive coaches ranks those players for different positions on their team.

They are one of the few teams in the league that then has both the offense and the defenses' coaches get together and discuss their draft board together. I was told that this way takes more time but they like the results of this for the team.

For free agency, I don't know what they do. If they aren't a completely dysfunctional team, the GM is acquiring players that suit particular needs of the scheme with the BPA for the price. Rick Smith isn't a I Know The NFL Better Than You kinda guy.