View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Perhaps we should do this in FORTRAN or COBOL lol, I wonder which would be better suited.

I agree with your assessment of the situation. My point however, was that what we saw on friday was just evidence that we don't have the talent to compete. I'm not sold on Smith. I don't necissarly like his scheme, I'd like to see more pressure but its pretty simple. When you bring 5 or 6 guys and don't get pressure, it might not be the coach. I know about QB reads and all, but at some point its "hey go hit the guy you're not allowed to hit during practice". What we saw friday, was that even IF Smith were a great coach, we wouldn't know it. Pick your poision. Leave your 35 out there, who can't cover a dead dog with a wet blanket, on an island and rush someone or don't rush and give the other team 5 minutes to throw the ball. I'll say this, if we do have a decent defense this year with Smith in there, he needs an extension because he has a pretty bad group.

Mike
I just finished review the 1st quarter (just the defense).
Actually, our pressure (whether with 4 or 5 guys) was decent.
Not great, but decent.
We were close a few times.
The long incomplete pass to T.O. was hurried by a delayed LB blitz.

Another thing is we already mix a bunch different guys in there from the get go.
The key here is that (like another poster had mentiond - I think it was KT) in the regular season, it should wear our the O-line in the second half.
At least that is what we hope.

I really think that we will see improvement over last year on the D, knock on wood.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote