View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008   #86
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Whose fault is the performance of the defense?

Think of it this way. If a person has only one bit available, it is like this:

0 - Richard Smith's fault
1 - The players' fault

However, if the person can invest two bits, we have this:

00 - Neither Smith's nor players' faults
01 - Not Smith's fault, players' fault
10 - Smith's fault, not players
11 - Both Smith and players' share fault

Bringing the front office and previous regimes into the discussion, and I very quickly am approaching a byte of information. If the person starts weighting the different amounts of responsibilites, it may run into more storage and thought than many people are willing to commit.

I'd at least start with two bits and think about improving coaching and talent.
Perhaps we should do this in FORTRAN or COBOL lol, I wonder which would be better suited.

I agree with your assessment of the situation. My point however, was that what we saw on friday was just evidence that we don't have the talent to compete. I'm not sold on Smith. I don't necissarly like his scheme, I'd like to see more pressure but its pretty simple. When you bring 5 or 6 guys and don't get pressure, it might not be the coach. I know about QB reads and all, but at some point its "hey go hit the guy you're not allowed to hit during practice". What we saw friday, was that even IF Smith were a great coach, we wouldn't know it. Pick your poision. Leave your 35 out there, who can't cover a dead dog with a wet blanket, on an island and rush someone or don't rush and give the other team 5 minutes to throw the ball. I'll say this, if we do have a decent defense this year with Smith in there, he needs an extension because he has a pretty bad group.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote