View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Weaver, Greenwood, Reeves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Weaver will cost us 6.2m if he is on the roster this year. If we cut him we would be on the hook for 8.1m (2.7m bonus allocation per year) as he is sigend through 2010. Therefore, before any fuzzy accounting, it would cost us 1.9m (8.1m minus 6.2m) to release him and have a roster spot.
The Texans are still on the hook for the $8.1 mil of unamortized bonus to Weaver. But since it is now past June 1st, the team would only have to take on the '08 allocated bonus pay ($2.7 mil) on this year's cap. So the Texans would actually save $3.5 mil (Weaver's '08 salary) on the cap this year. But would take a beating of $5.4 million in dead money on the 2009 cap.

I'm not a fan of the Charley Casserly school of "cut now, pay later" cap management. But if the Texans could find a defender with the $3.5 mil that could help this team via a trade, I think they should. Whatever Weaver once had when he signed that monstrous contract, he's lost. He's not one of the 53 best players on this roster. I think it's time to move on and move Weaver out.