View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008   #5
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Weaver, Greenwood, Reeves....

I'm guessing Adibi didn't play in this game either seeing as he wasn't credited for a tackle. Hopefully hes better by next week and gets a ton of reps but I really wish he was healthy so we could see if he is an option.

Having said that I think its important for everyone to take a deep breath, step back a bit, and look at the big picture here. Dallas is one of the top 2-3 offenses in the entire league and they handed it to us last night. Well, mama said there'd be days like this and considering it was preseason I'm not going to give up on this unit.

Anyway the big picture is that when you look at this defense and the one we had at the end of last year, this defense should perform better throughout the course of a 16 game NFL regular season and I believe it will. Every position is either the same or very slightly improved. I know thats not saying much for a defense that gave up about 24 points per game but lets take a look at each position:

On the D-line its close to the same as last year, Mario has another year under his belt (He was invisible last preaseason btw) Amobi has another year under his belt (And he is still the 4th youngest player in the NFL if I'm not mistaken) TJ isn't going to be anything special and at the other DE spot at least Cochran is pushing Weaver. I still have faith that Colvin has something left in the tank. If Okam works his way into the rotation it could be a small plus as well but overall this unit is still a player or two away, just like it was last year.

At LBer we have Demeco and we all know what he can do. Does anyone really believe Diles is a downgrade over Danny Clark? Hes probably not going to be a real impact player but I think this is a small upgrade at least. Morlon is Morlon, nothing special and hopefully Adibi comes along fast because I really believe he will show up ala Slaton on offense. Overall though this unit hasn't changed much.

Secondary: Bennett has another year and showed a lot of promise last season. Reeves is replacing Von Hutchins who was every bit as bad as Reeves if not worse and the only reason no one roasted him was because he wasn't getting paid a lick(Not saying Reeves isn't looking like a bad signing but he isn't worse than what we had at the end of last year). Moulden is inexperienced and will have his share of bad plays but who was our third corner last year Faggins? At safety Demps gets a whole offseason and he isn't robotic arm man this year. CC is a decent player. If Dunta gets back and plays well he will be a nice boost for this unit and the defense/team as a whole.

Overall what I'm saying is that we survived with this defense last year and I don't think theres any reason to expect a step back. I would say that we are certainly an offense oriented team right now and the main improvements from the defense will come from our improved running game and hopefully less turnovers than we had last year. I still expect the defense to give up about 22.5-23 points per game which, although a small step, is a step nonetheless. I'd be curious if anyone believes the defense will take a step back and their reasons.