View Single Post
Old 06-20-2004   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I'm not down on Babin - actually I'm more intrigued with him than any player
we have ever selected. But he is, to be sure, a big time project. He not only
didn't he play major league competition in college, but he will be playing a radically different position. We aren't talking 'bout switching from guard to
tackle or safety to corner, rather we are talking 'bout going from a DL position to playing upright as a LB...
Here's a link to Babin's bio at Western Michigan. BTW, they do play Division IA at Western Michigan. In 3 career starts vs. Big 10 schools (Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue), Babin averaged 7 tackles, 3.3 TFL, and 2 sacks. Not too bad for a "project". All rookies are projects, more or less. And the transition from pass rushing DE to pass rushing OLB has to be one of the most overrated. If Capers uses Babin in a similar fashion to how he deployed Kevin Greene in Carolina, Jason will be rushing the passer and getting penetration into the backfield on most plays, anyway. Like all rookies, the biggest adjustment for Babin will be the speed of the game.

Will there come a day when sports and society's racial issues become separated? I've never, ever cared about the ethnic background of an athlete I've watched perform. Just whether or not he had game. Isn't the game enjoyable enough? Watch the strategy, the emotion, the artistry...yeah artistry. Passing, receiving, running, blocking, tackling...brutal yes, but art just the same. Why would someone want to bring in baggage to a spectacle such as this? I don't get it.
Lucky is online now   Reply With Quote