View Single Post
Old 05-02-2004   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

As I recall the Tampa game last year, there were three passes that some people were howling about AJ dropping the ball. One was a deep route that Ragone put the ball tantalizingly close enough that people could blame AJ, but he had no realistic chance. The second was a crossing route where Ragone placed the ball behind AJ's shoulder while he was running at full speed--I suspect AJ and many top WR's would catch it about 50% of the time (and be credited with a phenominal catch)--that wasn't one of them. The third was a good toss where the DB had Aaron Glenn type timing and hit AJ exactly when he touched the ball--just as when Glenn makes similar plays, I credit the DB more than I fault the WR. All of that said, AJ clearly drops some balls (they all do) but the real question is how is he in comparison to other WR's. Maybe it is a definitional thing of what is good vs. great, but in my book a WR that comes in 6th in the AFC among all WR's (that is two spots out of being in the pro-bowl) is great--especially as a rookie.