View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008   #38
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually you get flamed more for your post on the QB than anything GP.

The way I see the RB position in the three drafts that Kubiak has been here is, crap we have a lot of holes (I.E. DL, OL, LB and DB) to fill that are far more of a glaring hole than the RB and that they are trying to do patch work with the RB so that other areas can be made into NFL caliber starters versus guys like Faggins who is not worth even being a nickel corner. Also, it does not help that the team has not had a 2nd round pick the last two years.

As far as droping high round pick on a runningback, I am said all along I donot like it one bit. The Payton, LT or Emmits seem to be a thing of the past with more and more teams running with more than one feature back, to save wear and tear on the commodity and prolong the investment. The 26th spor on down is about right I think for a runningback, but getting a LT is far more important than a RB to a teams success.

You can see with the drafting of Slaton how much the organization knows the runningback position is a weak spot on the team. Also with the bringing in Bell for an interview or workout that they will not just stand pat without looking under every stone for a back that can help this team. I think they actually formulated a plan and have stuck with it despite the criticism of the media and the so called fans who think they no more than the GM and coach.

Glad you brought those two things up, because they are THE reason why I am not a Schaub fan at the moment.

Not having a 2nd round pick for two straight years has been brutal, and it's why I have a pretty low tolerance for Schaub this year. We might have acquired a "better" QB (that's to be seen, though) but we are TWO players short on our roster due to the trade for Schaub. Two 2nd rounders, guys. That's two guys who fall into the top 60 or so of both years' draft classes, meaning we would have had a couple of starters at a couple of positions. We dropped two more-than-likely starters for a backup QB (Schaub) who has potential when we already had a backup QB (Sage) who virtually appeared to be about the same guy in terms of effectiveness at the position of QB. So, yeah...I have a chip on my shoulder when I think about Matt Schaub vs. Sage Rosenfels. Sage cost us nothing.

Throw in this year's first round selection of Duane Brown, who albeit MIGHT have been Gibbs' guy all along, though that could be a standard PR line to save face for trading down, and we do have a bit of a dilemma here: We had a guy in Mendenhall who was a consensus top tier RB (in this year's draft) vs. an OL who was pegged as a 2nd rounder.

Now, I don't know that Duane would be there for us in the 2nd round...so that's where it does get a little fuzzy on draft strategy. With the run that was being made on OL, it's possible Duane Brown wouldn't have fallen to us in the 2nd round had we had a 2nd round selection. And there's the rub: We didn't HAVE a 2nd round pick at all. That's the beauty of the draft, I guess: The "what ifs" seem to be a source of great angst among fans.

I think we had a more talented RB there for the taking vs. a 2nd tier OL who we drafted in Duane Brown. I'm betting there was an OL in the 3rd who might have been able to add some depth to the OL. Maybe? Just thinking out loud here.

I'd like to point out to everybody that I DO think GK/RS are definitely heading us in the right direction. But the QB and RB spots, to me, are the two positions that seem to be head scratchers thus far. Just glad that we are getting quality drafts from GK/RS. But would have preferred to see us go after a really athletic, talented RB. We went after Amobi last year because he was so young, so athletic, and obviously talented...and I think Mendehall fits that bill at RB. Shoulda' stayed put and pulled the trigger on a RB.

But that's me. It's just my line of thinking. It's an opinion that's mine and something I'm not parroting from someone else.

Having said that, GO TEXANS! Ready to see a game, that's for sure.