View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Ephriam is a vet, but this is a whole new scheme....Who's been getting the most work in this scheme ??? Brown. That would be bad on the Texans part having Brown get all these reps with the first unit while they are learning and becoming acclimated with this new scheme, only to turn around and start Salaam who hasn't practiced as much. He'd be out of synch with his teammates + he wouldn't have had as many reps (reps are VERY important in ZBS). If Salaam is to be the starter for the opening, look for a terrible pre-season from Brown because that's the only way Salaam uproots him.
although i agree with you on your other statements for the most part, this is a bit incorrect. this isn't a whole new scheme. Kubiak even said it today:

Quote:
“We’ve been doing it. We came in here, and we were doing it and teaching it. The calls haven’t changed a lick. We brought the expert in here to make sure we’re doing it the right way. If anything, we’ve cut back but our players are familiar with it and getting more and more familiar with it every day. The thing we want to do with running the ball, we want to back off, get simpler, cut down on plays and get good at the one’s we’re going to run.”
however, i do agree with you that reps are very important in this scheme and Gibbs is all about perfecting the timing of it so the players don't have to think about it they can react quickly. he's even advised them to change up their technique from time to time to keep the defense guessing. but that comes with doing it over and over until it's second nature. i think it's unreasonable to think that Salaam doesn't know the system just because he's working with the 2's. The timing thing may be more of an issue but in the end I think it's moot because I believe they are trying to get Brown ready for September against the Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians.

But I just wanted to point out that it's not a new scheme. They're even still running some of Sherm's plays.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote