View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008   #64
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Taylor to get reps at FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
“Fullback is a whole lot different position,” Leach said, comparing his position to running back. “Things happen a whole lot faster at fullback, so I’m just trying to teach him the steps and what to look for and how to read it.”

As lead blockers, fullbacks have to relish hitting defensive players. “That, you really can’t teach,” Leach said. “You’ve got to tell him to just hit somebody. You can’t really teach that. You’ve got to have that ‘I don’t care’ attitude.” [LINK]

As Leach clearly points out (and he is certainly talking now from a Gibbs FB view point), as an RB you're looking to avoid hard hits, as a FB you're looking to make hard hits.
That's true... I love those fullbacks that don't care about scoring TD's or getting lots of noterity but just LOVE to go out and pancake some LB's. Few RB's are willing to do that unless you mini-superman named Maurice Jones-Drew who completely levels Shawn Merriman.

I think the hardest thing for RB's transitioning over is for them to get over the fact that they probably won't become the next great RB, sign a huge contract and score lots of points. Fullbacks get little attention but are a huge part of helping the RB succeed. IF they can get over that and be pumped to help the team- they can learn to love to hit. Once you get a few big hits/blocks in, it can spark something and the realize how fun it is.

I also like to hear that about offensive linemen. So many of them- their favorite part is being able to get to the 2nd level and completely demolish a LB in run blocking. Those guys get to really just manhandle some smaller guys for a change and its fun.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote