View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Running Backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree with KT that our running game should be more effective this year.
It would be foolish to make any kind of guarantee, but the following are my observations:

1. We have two more guys with the ability to release to the next level and take on a defender there (Myers and Brown).
IMO, they both are better at that than any guys we have last year, including Winston.

Let's assume that we will be able to do that on five more running plays.
Whether it's Green or Brown or Slaton at RB, we should gain 3-4 more yards on those running plays. That will add about 15-20 yards overall.

2. The addition of Brown/Brown and Slaton will give the Texans the opportunity to run the stretch play to the outside more.
One successful stretch play could add ten-fifteen yards.
With AJ and Walter blocking downfield, there's always the chance of a jail-break for our RBs, especially Slaton.

3. These 3 RBs all have the ability to make something out of a screen pass.
The opponents will also have to worry about our draw play.
This will open up our passing game.
And when the defense has to wacth for our play action pass, the running game in turn will open up.

We averaged 99 yd rushing and 234 yd passing last year.
My guesstimate for this year is 120-130 yd rushing and 225-235 yd passing.
That will be between top 10 and top 5 in the league.
I,too think the draw play will get a lot of calls this season.