Thread: I See Red
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008   #25
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i am constantly petitioning to try and get everyone to embrace the white top, blue pant "Texans" uniform.

i don't know how many times I've posted something like this:

we're not those teams, yet.

we've only been in the league for a few years. there are teams that have maintained a visual image for decades and if there is one thing that defines laughable expansion teams in the NFL it's loosing and no sense of identity, history or tradition. it's like a shiny new sportscar that's made out of fibreglass and gets a totally new body every 4 years. then there is the corvette. classic lines that can easily be identified. sure, subtle changes are made over the years but the identity of the car, the "look" of the car is maintained. you get where i'm going with that.

Lucky pointed out that even the "classic" teams have throwback uni's or special uni's of some sort but who thinks of the bears in their orange? or the packers in the yellow shouldered uni's? nobody. you associate "da' bears" with a certain look, "the pack" with a historic vision of championships in the frozen tundra of the 60's. Same pack today. The cowboys getting beat by the 49'rs in "the catch" is the same cowboys team that blew the win over the Seahawks on the extra point in the playoffs two years ago. the Seattle team that beat them, they wear seaweed leotards now.

I implore ya'll to be patient and embrace your Texans as they are, as they were the first regular season game where we defeated the cowboys in their funny blue "away" uniforms.
IMO, Dominant, and winning football defined those teams, and ingrained their images onto our national sports psyche, not the other way around...
Teams that have winning traditions like those teams, and mega fan bases, don't feel they need to add another jersey to generate additional revenue, so they are riding on the reputations they have built through WINNING, not through wardrobe.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote