View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008   #46
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Chron]Texans still flying well under NFL radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Is that a fair comparison? NFL teams are far more guarded about injuries than NBA teams, for obvious reasons.

There's plenty of criticism to heap on the Chron, "the General" and Justice in particular, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to blame the national coverage of the Texans on the Chronicle. IMO Megan Manful does a fair job of covering the team and assessing its strengths and weaknesses, but the reality is the national sports media adopted a narrative about the Houston Texans that can only be shed by the team defying the stereotypical, simplistic expectations. I don't want to defend the Chronicle's coverage because I agree that it's subpar, but that unnamed national writer's excuse won't fly, either.

Relying on the Chronicle to form an accurate impression of the team is just flat-out laziness. Watch a game and form your own impressions accordingly.
The Chronicle knew what knee it was, they just didn't report it when the news originally was out. All that was reported originally was knee sprain.

Then it was reported publicly that he had a sprained MCL/PCL. The club didn't talk too much about the recovery. At this point, maybe if the Chronicle took the Texans coverage seriously, they would have talked to docs to find out about the nature of this injury.

One national columnist asked me what the deal was with the Chronicle writing the "Matt Schaub is a leader" article over and over again. And then he gave me a WTF about the Big Bad Schaub video. I had to explain that McClain was not the Texans beat writer, that he was an NFL writer and that he has got to the point in his career what he doesn't care what people think about what he does.

Most papers have at least one go to columnist who knows everything there is to know about the team and writes everything a fan needs to know in both facts and analysis of the team. They don't really have that person. Manfull writes basic factual information but is not a columnist. McClain knows the most about the short history of the Texans, but he isn't focused on writing just about the team. Justice, Solomon and Campbell dabble in it as generalist writers often do. Often what they write is so generalized that it is pretty much filler (or has inaccuracies in it).