View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Chron]Texans still flying well under NFL radar

Part of my daily reading is redzone.org and I used to (back in '03) send the Chron Sports director (Cunningham at the time) copies of webpages showing how the Chronicle performed so miserably in terms of the volume of articles about the Texans vs other NFL cities news coverage of their teams. I was focusing on volume and not quality at the time -- quality and insight is another story .. Anyway he basically told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and to shut up and go away. They're the experts you know, and we're just fans that don't know anything. Jacksonville, Carolina and Buffalo were putting out more articles about their teams than our illustrious rag. - edit .. a quick count of the number of articles in the Florida Times Union about the Jags since June 1... [37]. The number of Chron articles about the Texans [19].

I'm sure they're 'gearing up' for a lot of coverage now with camp starting, but based on past history it's not going to be compelling reading.

I was in Cleveland on business about a month ago and the Plain Dealer had 3-4 articles in their paper every day about the Browns. Our guys were on vacation.

Chronicle coverage of the Texans is way below average in quantity and quality. I wish they had competition. Their writers have no motivation to dig for that extra fact or to write anything new and they don't realize that their institutional laziness has cheapened their products to the point where none of our 'serious' fans notice them any longer either. There are never any new angles - ever - it's the same old cookbook, quote sheet reiteration crap every year. I see articles that are boring, repetitive and lacking in passion. Manfull is a robot. McClain's blog is unreadable because he has become the figurative Verizon Guy with his network of titans and cowboys fans following him around. The columnists write so rarely that when they do decide to write something it's usually sounding off on old news or in the 'so-what, who cares about your opinion because you don't follow the team that closely anyway' category. Lance's blog is very good, but he's not a chron employee. Other than that, I think Chron sports is great.

Thank god for the ht.com news items and archive. Nick, Nick, Brooke and everyone else there do a fantastic job with that, and it's definitely become the best source for news on the team.

Last edited by aj.; 07-13-2008 at 10:54 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote