View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008   #38
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Have Things Turned Out As Planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
And see, all those teams you named are, or were, good football teams. Good football teams are likely going to win more home games than they will on the road against good teams. The environment sure didn't seem to be a factor that didn't favor the Oilers for the first 2 1/2 quarters of that game in Buffalo.

Good team vs. good team, the home team is more likely to win just because home teams win more than road teams do.

Of those teams you mentioned, how come Buffalo, Oakland, Cincinnati, don't use their "weather" advantage any more? How come Miami doesn't use the heat to their advantage? Where was the Lambeau effect in the 70's and 80's? It's just not there.

If I'm forced to choose between a good team and a bad team, I'm going to take the good team every time. Now how long as hit been since oakland, buffalo and cincy have been good teams. Obviously if you are devoid of talent you're not going to win games. This isn't a hard fast rule, but it is a factor. I don't think that heat is as much of a factor to be honest. That's because you can do things to combat it. Cooled seats, fans etc can be used to help normalize it but there's not much you can do with 20 degree weather.

Now I'll agree that a team built like the '99 Rams goes into Pittsburgh after it's been raining, and yes, that will have an effect on the Rams game, but it has an effect on EVERYBODY. Both teams have to play in the conditions. Both teams have players from all over the country and each player is effected differently by the conditions. They're not effected as one.

The DOME team Colts won the Super Bowl in the pouring rain.

First of all.... If the colts and bears play that game anywhere.... the colts win 99 out of 100 times. The weather won't let the niner's beat the pats. Or the Bears beat the colts. But look at the Colts that year. They got to play NE at HOME. What has happened in recent history when they've had to go to NE?

The New England Patriots win at home, in the cold, because they're a GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM. If the Patriots moved to San Antonio, they would win at home, in the Texas warmth, or under a roof, because they're a GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM. It has zero to do with where your stadium is at. If it did, the Texans might as well close up shop because they apparently have no chance against the cold weather teams in January.

Ok, when the disparity is as big as the colts/bears I agree. But if you take the Pats/Colts over the last say 5-8 years... those teams are close. Usually in the conference championship, you'll be playing teams that are that close. It isn't a coincidence that in the manning/brady era the colts have yet to beat the Pats when facing the elements too.
Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote