View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008   #83
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the 53-man roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I don't understand what you people are watching when you come away with the impression that Salaam is a "quality" tackle. Sure, he's better than Jimmy Herndon and Victor Riley but that's not what we're talking about. In order to keep Salaam on the team, people like Briesel, Studdard, Frye, Butler, C.White are going to be cut. I wouldn't do that in order to keep Salaam. If Butler beats out Salaam at swing tackle, then I would use Pitts or Frye for further tackle depth and keep someone younger with more ability from the list above.

The idea that Salaam doesn't have to win his job in what will be a highly competitive camp doesn't make sense. Faggins has been on the team since 2002. Why wouldn't he be guaranteed a job if he wasn't already cut.. I don't understand the distinction everyone is making.

What's so special about Salaam?
I have a hard time seeing Brisiel not making this team regardless, and if White or Studdard are cut, I don't believe it's going to have anything to do with us keeping Salaam.

I don't believe anybody ever said Salaam shouldn't have to earn the roster spot - but including him in a predicted 53 man roster kind of implies the belief on the part of the poster that he will earn it.

My point is that with Brown coming on board as the hoped for 10-year solution, youth and future upside gets less weight when selecting a backup. I want to know who's better today if we need him, and who will help make Duane Brown a better OLT down the road if we don't. As to who's better today, clearly at the end of the '07 season, the coaches thought it was Salaam or they wouldn't have been starting him. Both Butler and Frye were available last year, and neither was deemed to be a better option than Salaam. Has the offseason allowed Frye or Butler to become better offensive linemen than Salaam, or has an additional 8 months of time caused Salaam's skills to deteriorate to the point where he's not as good as those two guys? I'm thinking the answer is no. If training camp causes the coaches to say it has, then I'm good with that, but I'm just addressing the question that was posed. As to who can make Duane Brown better down the road, I just believe 10 years of experience and well over 100 starts give Salaam the opportunity to become a tremendous mentor.

You made the comment earlier that you were concerned about Frye clearing waivers if they put him on the PS. I'm not. I don't think anyone will claim him. He's a 5th round pick who didn't get claimed in the first half of the '07 season, and I don't think 8 games of being inactive will change that for '08. If I'm right, and he does go on the PS, and develops, then great-maybe he can take Salaam's place as backup OT when he retires (which if it happened after next year wouldn't surprise me at all). As to Butler, my belief is that he'll be on the roster as the 4th OT in addition to Salaam.

I'm not expecting you to change you're opinion, just clarifying a different one.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote