View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008   #49
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN - Scouts Inc- Rankings (QB, RB, WR, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Now THAT sounds painful. Kidding aside, I doubt we do as well this year. IIRC, most ZBS teams give up more sacks than the power teams. I think that is supposed to be due to the lighter lineman. They get pushed around easier. Hopefully we can keep it in the mid 20s or at least under 30. I think that is about league average.
Your comment got me thinking about how the ZBS performs from a "Sacks Allowed" standpoint, so I went back and looked at the Bronco's during Gibbs second tenure there (1995 - 2003). Granted, this may not be representative of the ZBS system league-wide, but it's clearly where the bulk of Gibbs time has been spent. I was pretty interested in the numbers.

During his first six years, they ranged anywhere from 4th to 11th in the league, allowing anywhere from 25 to 35 sacks (30.2/yr. avg. for the period). During years 7 & 8, they dropped to 20th and 27th in the league, and gave up 42 and 46 sacks respectively. The interesting thing about this is that after year 6, Gibbs essentially became a part-time coach due to some health and/or burnout issues. He coached on Game day, reviewed film on Monday, and helped develop the game plan on Tuesdays. Wed - Saturday he went to a place in Phoenix that he bought to avoid the temptation of "Just dropping by" practice. I guess he was pretty serious about cutting back his schedule. The ninth and final season Gibbs was in Denver (2003) they were back down to 6th in the league giving up 25 sacks.

Just found it interesting, and thought I'd pass it on.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 07-12-2008 at 01:07 AM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote